long hose primary, but how long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call me crazy, but all these people who tuck their hoses when they aren't carrying a can light... why not just put some shears there? An extra cutting device seems to be a good thing to me.

Tucking just does not work for me, neither will I want any scissors and I am not sure that would be sufficient to secure the hose from constantly working loose. However, if it works----. With light technology progressing so rapidly, the era of the "can light" could be over. There are a number of self contained lights with goodman type handles that are available and which are actually too bright for night diving as it is much less daylight use. I see you do a lot of lake diving, I try not to but once in a while succumb to the dark green waters of Table Rock with it's bridges, wrecks, forests and cliffs and legends of lost towns. There, over multiple dives the long burn time of my DR LED 750 can light is nice (already an antique), but I attach it to my tank bands. It has a nylon case, I leave it permanently on the top cam band, when not in use it collapses down and is not noticeable between the tank and wing. Why, well, because I am only 30 inches around and there is just not a lot of room to put stuff all over my waist strap and I do not like the can riding there poking me and it increases my profile. Shhh, do not tell anybody, I have weight integration on (one of several) my Oxy wing and the weight pocket fills that position. Well, my 30 pound wing I use with heavier suits I still use a belt though I have DR pockets that I can use with it for weight integration. And, those particular pockets, when rigged vertical, would allow a hose to tuck nicely.

For open water, for those who must use a Hog rig, I find a 5 foot hose perfect for me or a 36/40 under my arm with a 90 degree swivel. Either the way, no tucking is required and neither is extra equipment needed to occupy space just to act as a "tuck" point for a 7 foot hose.

But, what the heck, most times I go solo, dive a double hose and do not have any hoses tucked anywhere.

N

The only real downside I see to a 7 ft hose is if it gets loose from you on when not in the water. That reg is going to the ground and it might be hard. If you are diving metal 2nds, it might be a scratch or a small dent. Plastic may crack. The 5+ footer just whacks you in the ankle. I usually go for 5'3" to 5'6" using a coupler.

I am currently only doing OW dives however I do think that a 7ft hose may be beneficial for a few reasons, mostly to do with emergencies where y buddy/another diver is low on air and we need to make an exit from a wreck

Well, then you're not really doing an OW dive, are you.

The 5 ft hose allows for a lot of room in side-by-side swimming and air sharing. If you're going into a restriction where you might be forced to share air single file, then the 7 footer is better. But then again, so is overhead dive training, and redundant gas, and advanced navigation skills, etc...

The only real downside I see to a 7 ft hose is if it gets loose from you on when not in the water. That reg is going to the ground and it might be hard.

I put a bolt snap on mine...

Thumb_IMG_0221.JPG

...which may serve to cushion the fall. Unless perhaps there's a better way to use it to keep my primary regulator from hitting the ground? Hmm...

7' works for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom