Long hose routing (sex, politics, kicking puppies and other inflamatory topics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've spent the last few years taking junk off my BC that didn't serve any useful purpose, and replacing stuff that I thought was crap, until I recently I looked at what was left and realized that what I was building already existed and people were already diving with it, and it was much more functional than what I had, so I decided to join the Dark Side. :D

Anyway, I have Adv. Nitrox and Deco classes coming up and picked up an OMS wing, a DSS backplate and hog harness, complete with broken steak knife. Luckily I have a drawer full of cheap steak knives in the kitchen, so if it gets lost, I won't worry. The part I really like is the sheath. :D

I took a couple of steel 95's down to the shop to be acquainted with a nice new manifold, and sometime next week, should be all set.

In any event, I've been looking at pictures of routing for the long hose. Everything I've seen shows it wrapped around the diver's neck, which sort of freaks me out. I don't like hoses running in front of me and certainly don't like them wrapped around my neck. I seem to remember seeing a hose routing method that involved stuffing it into/behind/around the plate or something similar, without wrapping it around my neck. Has anybody seen this or am I just delusional?

Thanks!

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya Terry,

It doesn't wrap around your neck. At least, not all the way. If you are concerned about being strangled, don't be. It's absolutely NOT an issue and provides the most comfort I've had in terms of hose pull on the second.

Stuffing is a bad idea, as it's very difficult to re-stuff once the long hose has been deployed and it should be deployed on every dive, prior to descent.

Now, about that OMS wing.....

Everything I've seen shows it wrapped around the diver's neck, which sort of freaks me out. I don't like hoses running in front of me and certainly don't like them wrapped around my neck.
The hose routes down your right side, under your light (if you have one), up across your chest over your left shoulder and behind your neck, not around it! :D

To donate you simply grab the hose near the reg with your right hand (palm facing you) and duck your head slightly (which OBTW is where your backup reg is conveniently located, under your chin).

It looks harder than it really is.

Doesn't your snorkel interfere with the hose going over your head

That's why I keep my snorkel on one of those rotating clips so that it just swings out of the way. Seamless ... I love my snorkel. When I go in a wreck though and I have to take it off and leave it clipped to the line outside the wreck I just feel naked. There's nothing like returning to my snorkel after a nice wreck penetration. Once I put it back on I can finally relax.

Last edited by a moderator:
My folding snorkel stays in my dive bag where it belongs. :D

LOL..bunch of comedians!!! I'm thinking about putting a third pocket on my dry suit just for my snorkel. Guess where it will be mounted!! :11:

BTW, love my 5' hose.

The hose routes down your right side, under your light (if you have one), up across your chest over your left shoulder and behind your neck, not around it! :D

To donate you simply grab the hose near the reg with your right hand (palm facing you) and duck your head slightly (which OBTW is where your backup reg is conveniently located, under your chin).

and it is really quite natural. The routing as well as handing it off.

Thanks!

I'll have to take a look at the pictures again.

Terry

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom