Look what I got

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Freedom plates are ready to go. I have a few tooled up and in the next few days I'll have more tooled up.
They're made out of stainless this time and run $150 for the plate and a rail. I'll have to post an official bulletin with pics and an explanation. But real quick, the plate is a dedicated single tank plate that looks similar to an old Voit Snug Pack or similar product from the day. It narrows down so it doesn't interfere with your shoulder blades and rides nice and close right in the "sweet spot" on your back.
This latest model is the most versitile design yet with any type of single tank diving considered, old school w/double hose, modern style with the latest wing and regs, many different brands of wings will work, ride the tank high, ride the tank low, and infinite amount of adjustment, use the tank rail, you can pour lead into the tank rail for 3-4 lbs of extra weight, remove the rail and just use the plate, etc, etc.
The bare plate weighs 3lbs. 2 oz.
Plate with rail weighs 4lbs. 2 oz.
Plate, rail and lead weight, up to 8 lbs total.

I don''t have any weights available but pouring lead into the rail is a no brainer. All you need is some tire weights, an old pot dedicated to lead melting, and a camp stove.

Look to the left and you can see me using one in my avatar. I am using it wingless and riding it very low.

To order call me:
(707) 538-1276 office
or
(707) 318-2577

OK, back to the original subject, my new baby.
I pulled the can apart and the diaphram was in good shape, still supple and no cracks.
Both the mushroom valves in the mouthpiece are in good shape. It looks like they were replaced at some point.
The duckbill is shot. It was melted together and almost liquified and stuck inside the metal tube. I couldn't salvage it. So I need to find a duckbill somewhere. Any ideas?
I thought of making one out of bicycle innertube and flat rubber and getting creative with the tire patch glue.

I would recommend that you put a silicone diaphragm in your reg anyway. It is way thinner and easier to breathe than that thick rubber one. If you really want it to breathe sweet, Bryan does an amazing job. He rebuilt my first double hose, and he stands by his work. That is a nice regulator man, the ones made in France are not very common AFAIK.

OK, back to the original subject, my new baby.
I pulled the can apart and the diaphram was in good shape, still supple and no cracks.
Both the mushroom valves in the mouthpiece are in good shape. It looks like they were replaced at some point.
The duckbill is shot. It was melted together and almost liquified and stuck inside the metal tube. I couldn't salvage it. So I need to find a duckbill somewhere. Any ideas?
I thought of making one out of bicycle innertube and flat rubber and getting creative with the tire patch glue.

About what I figured. You can strip out the old duckbill with denatured alcohol (just don't get it on the label- it will cut the paint). Submerge the horn in alcohol over night, the alcohol will completely disolve the old goo, then rinse with water. Bryan (VDH) has great silicone replacements for $5 but while I was at it I would also replace the diaphram with a silicone one- they are a big improvement over the old ones- even ones in great shape and you might as well replace the LP seat while you have it apart- it uses the same ones as most other simple second stages. Silicone mushroom valves are cheap also. If you intend to dive it, you might as well make it as good as it gets, you already have it apart and the cost extra is minimal.

All very good advice. You may also want to replace the clips holding the cans together with a retaining band that is easily removed to open up your cans for servicing. Also available at VDH.
Congratulations on picking up a sweet looking reg. I know you will enjoy diving it.

Most of us tack down the silicone duckbills to the back can with a little silicone rubber. They are a lot softer and floppy than the originals and are a little hard to keep in place while you are reassembling the cans if you don't tack them down. They work great and will likely never need replacing but are a little more difficult to work with. The can bands are also a nice addition.

Most of us tack down the silicone duckbills to the back can with a little silicone rubber. They are a lot softer and floppy than the originals and are a little hard to keep in place while you are reassembling the cans if you don't tack them down. They work great and will likely never need replacing but are a little more difficult to work with. The can bands are also a nice addition.

I got clued in on all the goodies available at the VDH store in the last few days by e-mails and phone calls from vintage bretheren.
Wow, what a tight group, it's great!
Thank you very much everyone for your help..

Eric,

That is a very nice regulator. Ron was correct about the "made in france" being somewhat rare. I am looking forward to September in Monterey. If I were you I would just send the reg to Bryan and for around 70.00 you'll be diving that thing for the rest of you life.

Dude I want one of the new plates!

I got clued in on all the goodies available at the VDH store in the last few days by e-mails and phone calls from vintage bretheren.
Wow, what a tight group, it's great!
Thank you very much everyone for your help..

Oh yea, I have had the pleasure of meeting and diving with a good many of them....Get that puppy up and going then come join us at Sand Dog VII.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom