Looking for a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who are you referring to? There's a difference between training and certification. This whole thread is BS. Anyone who has even half the experience the OP claims to have wouldn't be on the Internet asking about cave locations...

Who are you referring to? There's a difference between training and certification. This whole thread is BS. Anyone who has even half the experience the OP claims to have wouldn't be on the Internet asking about cave locations...

I Disagree. Maybe the fellow is asking rather than searching for himself. Why search if you can ask and readily have an answer. I could spend 8 hours searching the internet to find out if my boss is married, or I could ask him directly. IMHO, I'd rather ask than go looking in just about any situation.

A better analogy might be that you could ask your boss or look for a ring on his finger.

I am nowhere near to the point that I am capable of triple stage swim dives, but I already am aware of several places that I could go cave dive to my heart's content, and not have to worry about showing a card. Therefore, either the OP is embellishing his experience, or he is trying to cause a commotion.

On the subject of your Dad. I can certainly sympathize, but what does he, and you for that matter, think of the extremely death rate that used to be commonplace in cave diving? Before it was accepted practice to require cave certs to dive caves? Has it been an acceptable trade-off? I suspect that the answer to that will vary from person to person.

A better analogy might be that you could ask your boss or look for a ring on his finger.

I am nowhere near to the point that I am capable of triple stage swim dives, but I already am aware of several places that I could go cave dive to my heart's content, and not have to worry about showing a card. Therefore, either the OP is embellishing his experience, or he is trying to cause a commotion.

On the subject of your Dad. I can certainly sympathize, but what does he, and you for that matter, think of the extremely death rate that used to be commonplace in cave diving? Before it was accepted practice to require cave certs to dive caves? Has it been an acceptable trade-off? I suspect that the answer to that will vary from person to person.

My boss never wears a ring, yet I know he's married. My dad didn't wear a ring either. He also quit diving completely. No one would fill his tanks without a card. Made him mad. I'd say ask him how he really feels, but he won't respond.

I Disagree. Maybe the fellow is asking rather than searching for himself. Why search if you can ask and readily have an answer. I could spend 8 hours searching the internet to find out if my boss is married, or I could ask him directly. IMHO, I'd rather ask than go looking in just about any situation.

If he's truly been doing the dives he claims (not likely), he would know we don't give up our sites on the 'net. I dive a lot of caves I won't reveal names or locations except to a very few, select people.

i'm not 100% percent clear on what a troll is. i might be one for all i know. but i was ernestly seeking information. it did occure to me a couple of days ago (i havn't gotten a chance to get back on-line since then) that anyone who knew of places like the ones i'm looking for would be reluctant to reveal them in an environment as public as this, particularly with all the hostility out there towards uncertified divers.

so if anyone knows of any places and is willing to reveal them, feel free to send me a private message, but i understand if no one wants to give up their favourite secret dive sights.

believe it or not, everything in my previous post is absolutly true. as for me having 0-25 logged dives, that is all the dives i have actually logged. i did not see the option for "i dont log my dives" when i first signed up. damn people, i certainly did not mean to send anyone off the deep end with that piece of personal information.

My Bad.

Derek, don't listen to these naysaying prophets of doom. Get over to Andros Island in the Bahamas and map out the cave system there. It will take at least the rest of your life to get a handle on the sheer size of the system. Plus no one will make too much issue on what certs you have.

Derek, since you came back and clarified yourself, I appologize.

Many times people come here and post what seems to be an outrageous thread and then sit back and watch everyone put their 2 cents worth in.......some putting good info out and other mimicking what they have heard as if they experienced it forsthand but did not. Yours seemed to be one until your second post. Cave Diving, any overhead diving is very dangerous and has lead to many deaths of people who may have been lucky a few times and then chalked it to "experience".

On the other hand Cave Diving is way cool if it interests you and you should work towards that end when you have many more dives and after you seek the proper training and obtain the proper gear. There are a few caverns (Vortex, cavern not the cave, Ginnie etc) that many open water diver's enter with a reasonable amount of safety. There may be a few more, but if caves interest you start now by finding new cavern and intro divers and learn from them until you have enough dives to take the classes yourself. I am sure there may be a few cave divers that would also take time to help you move towards that end. We call that Mentoring. If you learn the right technique now, when you don't have a lot of experience, you won't have to unlearn and relearn technique later.

Again, Sorry, I really thought you were trolling. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom