Looking for a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:....

Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

+1

I gave the benefit of the doubt at first, now the truth is obvious.

oh and i guess i should have mentioned that i have quite a bit of cave experience. no lie. i recently did a triple stage for almost 6,000 feet of penetration (swimming not scootering). i've laid new line in previously unexplored cave, and ive even tried my hand a sidemounting (i didnt like it all that much)

I would have to agree.
training is great and experience is necessary, but it doesnt always come with a card. thank god for free unregulated caves.

anyway the lecture was fun and all, but since noone seems to have a real answer to my question, i think i'm done with this particular thread.

-peace
Now that we have some clarification, I'm curious. It is oft said that you can't buy gear or get tanks filled without a card, and we all know that is not true (though some shops do check). Can you go cave diving without a card? I'd assume you can since there are at least a few non-cave-trained fatalities each year, but honestly ... how common is it to have your cave cert checked at a site?

Some places do, some do not. Some of them are very well regulated but there are plenty of caves on the rivers in Florida that are fair game for whoever. I know in my area I have been checked at Jackson blue, ( actually had to sign in at the sheriffs office to get in ) and at Madison Blue they checked our certs before giving us a pass.

there are experienced safe cave 'bandits' who don't have cards, but they would never have to ask about wild caves on the internet, so i'm calling bs in this case...

Most of the caves in MX that I have dived only have someone to collect the entry fee. They don't check cards.

anyway the lecture was fun and all, but since noone seems to have a real answer to my question, i think i'm done with this particular thread.

There is a fine line between "lecture" and "advice" and as you KNOW your free to choose the diff. Guess we all didn't know what a Pioneer/Explorer you really are?? And your first Q was answered in post#2....so like you stated.....were pretty much done here....luck be with you! not like you'll need it right?

Last edited:
If, in fact, you are what you represent yourself to be, it would have been nice to have entered accurate information on your profile, so that we could have been spared the time spent trying to counsel you against what we quite reasonably viewed as a potentially lethal risk.

If you really do have that experience, I empathize with you. The man who services my regs laid some of the original line in Ginnie Springs, but as he ruefully observes, they wouldn't let him dive there nowadays, because he doesn't have anybody's cave card. In the days when he learned to dive caves, there WERE no cave cards!

If, in fact, you are what you represent yourself to be, it would have been nice to have entered accurate information on your profile, so that we could have been spared the time spent trying to counsel you against what we quite reasonably viewed as a potentially lethal risk.

If you really do have that experience, I empathize with you. The man who services my regs laid some of the original line in Ginnie Springs, but as he ruefully observes, they wouldn't let him dive there nowadays, because he doesn't have anybody's cave card. In the days when he learned to dive caves, there WERE no cave cards!

My dad quit diving when they started wanting certs to get fills as they wouldn't grandfather him into the club. He dove some of the coolest sinks and caverns that are off limits today as they are private property, etc. It was something that always made him really mad.

Sorry, but I've got to add my $.02 worth. I don't cave dive and have no desire to. With that said, is it just me or does anyone else find it ironic that the same posters who are saying you should be "cave certified" are the same ones who post that certification cards are BS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom