Looking for a Small Dive Shop in Kata or Karon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHankNYC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi! I'm looking for a good and small dive shop in Kata or Karon that might cater to photographers.
I'm trying to avoid cattle boats if possible. I'm travel during the end of December. Thanks!

Speak to StevenL who is in Kata and is active on the board here. His shop is in Kata and I have always had good service or good feedback from divers I've referred to even if StevenL doesn't remember me hehe.

Seriously, good guy who will point you in the right direction.

The problem is your timing, you're coming here at the busiest time of the peak season.

I recently catered to a couple of photographers, really professional, on a cattle boat, which is no problem at all. But at peak times all boats, and there are really just 3 non-cattle boats around, will be full full full. On the non-cattle boats the groups will be 4 divers to one guide/instructor, which is not ideal for you, on the cattle boats you will be able to get a private guide at a small extra pay.

Hope this helps you a bit,
Steven

The problem is your timing, you're coming here at the busiest time of the peak season.

I recently catered to a couple of photographers, really professional, on a cattle boat, which is no problem at all. But at peak times all boats, and there are really just 3 non-cattle boats around, will be full full full. On the non-cattle boats the groups will be 4 divers to one guide/instructor, which is not ideal for you, on the cattle boats you will be able to get a private guide at a small extra pay.

Hope this helps you a bit,
Steven

Are you able to solo dive, if certified and have access to a pony?

Are you able to solo dive, if certified and have access to a pony?
The first dive would be a check dive, but after that, yes. The diving here is a bit different from diving in the Red Sea and Carribean though (I don't know where your previous diving experience is), in that a guide here will add a lot more in terms of marine sightings here. Also visibility tends to be a bit less than in the other mentioned places, making navigation more challenging.

Have you considered going on a liveaboard BTW?

The first dive would be a check dive, but after that, yes. The diving here is a bit different from diving in the Red Sea and Carribean though (I don't know where your previous diving experience is), in that a guide here will add a lot more in terms of marine sightings here. Also visibility tends to be a bit less than in the other mentioned places, making navigation more challenging.

Have you considered going on a liveaboard BTW?

I'll be in Thailand for 3 weeks. The first week I'll be on a liveaboard, then rest of the time I will be on land through xmas and NYE.
Is there a shop or guide you recommend?

HH

Back
Top Bottom