Looking for BP/W - HTS 2, HTS Elite, OMS, or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with the Dive Rite "deluxe" harness and ended up ditching all the extras for a simple one-piece webbing harness. If I were to do it again, I'd start as simple as possible, and only add on if something more is really needed.

This page has a number of very nicely priced options, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Ultimate Hogarthian Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems - Dive Gear Express

As mentioned before, If you dive cold water, I'd recommend stainless backplate instead of aluminum. If you dive singles, the Single Tank Adapter option with S/S cam strap is a bomb-proof, completely solid way to mount your tank. (It also adds 1-2 lbs.)

Try not to overdo it with wing buoyancy: extra size just creates more drag. All you need is enough to float your tank + harness-mounted weights at the surface. I use a 35lb wing for my cold water rig: single steel tank, SS backplate, STA, 14lbs of weight. If you calculate, that's roughly -25lbs, so a +35 wing is more than enough.

I'm a big fan of my Dive Rite Voyager XT wing. After nearly 100 dives, it still looks brand new. Extremely durable and well built.

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 06:55 PM ----------

Good deal on a HOG setup.

This is a screaming good deal. My only reservation is, what's the feedback on HOG wings? I'm a big fan of their regs.

This page has a number of very nicely priced options, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Ultimate Hogarthian Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems - Dive Gear Express

Better prices if you don't mind the DGX plate. Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express and Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 08:48 PM ----------

This is a screaming good deal. My only reservation is, what's the feedback on HOG wings? I'm a big fan of their regs.

It is a good deal but remember you still need to purchase the cam straps. I don't own a HOG wing so I can't give a first-hand opinion. However, from what I read here people seem to be happy with them.

Sorry to revive an old thread. But it's basically the same topic I have questions about.
I'm looking to get a bp&w set up as my first bcd.
I'm mainly going to be diving dry in cold water. Last weekend the water temp was 2 Celsius.
Im a newbie. And using the Zeagle ranger rental bcd and whites fusion drysuit I was needing about 34lbs of lead. The drysuit was a size too big to cover the big puffy thermal suit I had. I now own my own drysuit and the whites fusion thermal undergarments so I should easily shave a few pounds off with less air in my suit. I weigh about 215.
So getting to my question. I know everyone recommends the basic harness. But with me mainly diving dry. Especially in very cold temps with lots of layers on, wouldn't that be a good reason to get the fancier harness like the Hollis elite II? I have very broad shoulders so reaching my arms into even a fully loose jacket bcd can be tricky.
I'm hoping to obviously cut down weight as I gain experience. But will likely still be pretty high due to drysuit etc. so I was planning on getting the ditchable weight pockets too for the Hollis elite II. A ss plate and the 38 wing.
Yes I know the Hollis stuff is expensive. But I like the quality. My friend has a Hollis rig and it's great. So I don't mind paying for something I like.

I have the whites fusion bullet with thermals. And i used a halcyon bp/w. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO:

Harness Options: adjustable vs. one piece

Will Use a Crotch strap: go with a one piece harness
Will Not use a Crotch strap: go with adjustable harness

I recommend to use a crotch strap, which will make everything more secure and allow shoulder straps to be comfortable and loose enough to get in/out. If for some reason you refuse to use a crotch strap (like my wife), an adjustable harness is nice because you can make the shoulders tighter, the padding helps in this case and adjust them loose to remove.

I know everyone recommends the basic harness. But with me mainly diving dry. Especially in very cold temps with lots of layers on, wouldn't that be a good reason to get the fancier harness like the Hollis elite II? I have very broad shoulders so reaching my arms into even a fully loose jacket bcd can be tricky.
I'm hoping to obviously cut down weight as I gain experience. But will likely still be pretty high due to drysuit etc. so I was planning on getting the ditchable weight pockets too for the Hollis elite II. A ss plate and the 38 wing.
Yes I know the Hollis stuff is expensive. But I like the quality. My friend has a Hollis rig and it's great. So I don't mind paying for something I like.

I have broad shoulders too and getting into a one-piece harness is easy getting out of it could be a challenge if it is not adjusted properly. You have a few choices: 1) A 1-piece harness with adjustability like what UTD sells. 2) A "deluxe harness with a quick release" such as what DR sells. 3) A super deluxe harness such as the Elite 2 or the Transplate. 4) A specialized harness like the Golem Gear one. 5) Modifying a 1-piece harness by adding a quick release and not breaking the webbing.

I do not dive dry but was told that it is best if the harness does not ride over the inflator or dumps. Hopefully someone with dry suit experience will chime in. I do have a Hollis Elite 2 harness I received in a package deal. Personally I did not like it. While it is comfortable, I disliked all the loose webbing in front of me.

I have broad shoulders too and getting into a one-piece harness is easy getting out of it could be a challenge if it is not adjusted properly. You have a few choices: 1) A 1-piece harness with adjustability like what UTD sells. 2) A "deluxe harness with a quick release" such as what DR sells. 3) A super deluxe harness such as the Elite 2 or the Transplate. 4) A specialized harness like the Golem Gear one. 5) Modifying a 1-piece harness by adding a quick release and not breaking the webbing.

I do not dive dry but was told that it is best if the harness does not ride over the inflator or dumps. Hopefully someone with dry suit experience will chime in. I do have a Hollis Elite 2 harness I received in a package deal. Personally I did not like it. While it is comfortable, I disliked all the loose webbing in front of me.
What do you mean by loose webbing? I haven't found a regular bcd to be a problem. So compared to those even the elite II is minimalist and streamlined.
And by riding over the inflator/dump valve do you mean not having it rub tightly over them as you put it on/off?
Thqts the big issue I find with big shoulders. Reaching back is tight and then the wrist rings and the valves make it even harder to slide your arms smoothly under the straps.

Worst case scenario as I see it is I can always buy a more basic harness later if I find the elite is overkill. And then I could pick up a aluminium backplate and have a second rig with the spare elite II harness as a lighter weight travel/ warm water set up.

Thank you for the pointers so far.

Chrunchiespg,

Unless you have a shoulder issue I would lean towards the Solo harness. Keep it simple. You will be surprised how nice it is when everything is dialed in with no clutter. Also just use one chest d-ring per side. No need for four Chest d-rings diving OC. Just don't get flustered in the beginning. If your not sure, have your friend help with adjusting the harness to you. My biggest issue was getting the chest d-rings just right were I could easily clip off without looking. They just weren't high enough at first.

Adjusting a backplate or this one

I have both Hollis and halcyon setups. Hollis backplate and wing dimensions are almost identical to Halcyon.

Last edited:
I did make a big long reply. But apparently it has to be approved by a moderator. Not sure why as other posts show up just fine.

What do you mean by loose webbing? I haven't found a regular bcd to be a problem. So compared to those even the elite II is minimalist and streamlined.
And by riding over the inflator/dump valve do you mean not having it rub tightly over them as you put it on/off?
Thqts the big issue I find with big shoulders. Reaching back is tight and then the wrist rings and the valves make it even harder to slide your arms smoothly under the straps.

Worst case scenario as I see it is I can always buy a more basic harness later if I find the elite is overkill. And then I could pick up a aluminium backplate and have a second rig with the spare elite II harness as a lighter weight travel/ warm water set up.

Thank you for the pointers so far.

The extra webbing is where the harness adjusts. You have adjustment points on chest strap and under the quick releases. I mean not having the harness rest on the inflater when it is being worn. A good compromise is the Dive Rite deluxe harness at $60. It offers the adjustment of the Hollis but for $100 cheaper. You can also remove the chest strap and wear it like a simple harness. If you want a simple harness you can just by some webbing and transfer the hardware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom