Looking for ideas; Liveaboard in May 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not as exotic as some of the other locations that have been suggested, but the Kona Aggressor in Hawaii is a great trip and it is far away from the Caribbean.

We were there during the month of April and the water was 78 F so not bad but not super warm, although it may get a degree or two warmer by May.

It's different from the Caribbean, healthy, interesting hard corals, lots and lots of colorful fish and turtles and morays. The octopus were out during the day and the night dive with Manta Rays was truly a special experience. Lots of cool stuff to see both big and small and we saw whales from the boat 2 or 3 times.

I don't think that you mentioned budget, but for the last 2 years the Aggressor has offered an Anniversary sale during January/February. You have to make the reservation during the sale but you can plan a trip any time during the year. Last year it was 32% off for their 32nd anniversary and this year it was 33% off for their 33rd anniversary.

That's a very good deal; there's no guarantee that they will offer an anniversary sale again in early 2018 but if they do, take a good look at the Kona Aggressor.

I was in Hawaii in January and I was able to fly United direct from Chicago to Honolulu for $850, of course there is an extra cost to hop over to the Big Island.

That's not bad, so if you can find good airfare and a sale on the Aggressor, Kona is a real bargain and a great dive destination IMO.

It's not that warm, but this was a GREAT trip:

I just saw a doc. on Nat Geo on Socorro and Clipperton that was absolutely jaw dropping - just made the connection with your post. WOW this is definitely on my short list - within the next two years hopefully. I've read good things about the Nautilus LOB's so that's probably the way to go. What month was your trip?

Back
Top Bottom