Looking for new watch sized PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gatorfish

Registered
Reaction score
So I am in the market for a new computer and thought I had everything figured out but ran into an issue with my new purchase that set me back to square one.

Background: I am primarily into freedive and scuba spearfishing. Often our trips are freedive only or a few freedives followed by scuba for the rest of the day. Over the last year or so, I have an increased interest in just diving. I have always dove from private boats or from shore in the Tampa Bay area and Gulf of mexico with several keys trips a year. this year I will be traveling for a few dive trips with traditional dive boats and have the possibility of a LOB spear trip here and there. I dont see myself progressing into tech but you never know. I historically have never dove with a computer, just a watch and fairly easy square profiles. Additionalyl, my daughter is nearing the age to start junior scuba so diving with her (and eventually my son, 3) will take priority.

last year I bought a used zoop and after about 10 dives with me, it died. I picked up a Mares Puck Pro and was quite happy with it but didnt like the size of the puck and the lack of freedive features. So I started my search for a new PDC.

Features I want:
watch style, one that you would mind wearing off the water.
Dive gauge and freedive mode (where freedive wont lock you out of scuba for 24hrs)
Nitrox
Dont need AI
Compass would be nice but not required.
would like room to grow (ie multiple gases)
$200-600

I thought I found my answer with the oceanic OCi and received mine friday. It shipped with an almost dead battery so I took it to my local Oceanic dealer where when with the new battery was installed a fatal error was discovered. A call to Oceanic confirmed no solution and to return it for a full refund, also stating the line is being discontinued. My local dealer also stated he stopped carried oceanic computers due to multiple issues (which is why I ordered online). I have access to multiple quality dive stops carrying pretty much any brand

Any recommendations?

:cheers:

I see the aqualungs are oceanic clones without the dual algos. I would prefer the option of the oceanic considering they are so close in price.

My concern with oceanic what just happened with my OCi. You spend $600 and have it fail without ever touching water and the manufacturer says get a different computer. Will oceanic computers continue to have support?

You said "no tech, but you never know".

If you think that is even a possibility, and your budget can go as high as $600, I would HIGHLY recommend looking for a used Shearwater Perdix, or maybe a Petrel 2 (thought it is bulkier and if you didn't like the Mares Puck, you probably would dislike the Petrel for the same reason).

Short of a Perdix, I personally would go with an Oceanic Geo 2.0 (if I had the same requirements list that you gave). I don't know what the deal is with the OCi, but the Geo has a great reputation for reliability, and you can usually find them on sale for around $280. If you call or email LeisurePro, they will usually offer some discount from the price they have it listed for online.

If you go for something other than a Shearwater, forget about multi gases giving you room to grow. On a recreational computer, multi-gas support is only useful if you think it makes it easier to have preset gases and choose the one you're using from a preset before you start your dive. I think basically nobody uses any of those type computers to handle gas switches during a tech dive. You're much more likely to use Gauge Mode on a recreational computer when doing tech dives than you are to use the multi-gas feature.

Personally, I find it just as easy to just change the FO2 on my Oceanic Atom to the desired value, rather than trying to have 2 or 3 presets and pick the one I'm actually using, so I have actually never yet used the multi-gas feature on it. When I was doing tech training, I only used the Atom as a backup bottom timer. Now when I do tech dives, I carry 2 proper tech computers (one of which is a Perdix AI) and the Atom stays on the boat.

I've been considering a watch size computer also. Any thoughts on the Scubapro Chromis/Mantis PDC's? I've searched the forums and haven't seen too many comments on them.

Thanks for the replies.

I put my hands on a perdix and honestly it's no more cumbersome than a puck and has a lot of upside. May have to rethink what is truly needed/wanted.

I am a minimalist at heart and the idea of a watch sized pdc that can replace a watch, dive computer and a compass (for non navigational purposes, just general bearing) is appealing, especially for travel. But all the watch pdcs seem to be compromise in one way or another.

I will take another look at the Geo 2 in the time being. Seems they are out of stock everywhere or way above msrp at $429 in the places that do have them. However, Doesn't help my concern about oceanic in general as they transistion with huish...

Thanks for the replies.

I put my hands on a perdix and honestly it's no more cumbersome than a puck and has a lot of upside. May have to rethink what is truly needed/wanted.

All watch-sized PDCs I've seen so far were a bit larger than what I'd care to wear on my wrist. Except maybe the cosmic, but I've only seen the pictures. Meaning, a geo2 may turn out to be not significantly less cumbersome than a puck, once actually you put one on your wrist.
-- Speaking as someone who doesn't wear a watch, except on pool dives. :wink:

I went to a LDS today with the intention of picking up a Geo 2.0 and taking advantage of the 20% off for trading in an old dive computer (see Oceanic website).

The did not have any Geo's in-stock and said that all Oceanic inventories were down due to the recent acquisition by Huish.

They tried to sell me a Sherwood Amphos for $299. It looks pretty decent, but is a PDC that was introduced 4 years ago still considered current technology?

I just got the Geo 2.0, and while I'm not experienced enough to comment on it vs other computers, I really do like it. It's a standard recommendation on the board as a great computer for the money.

Regarding size, while it's definitely smaller than the standard puck size computer, I personally think it would be a bit too large for me to wear daily. I'm a smaller guy though at 5'9" and lean, and most of my watches fall into the 40-42mm width range. I've seen a couple instructors who are bigger/taller pull it off no problem. I guess it would depend on the individual.

I had a hard time sourcing mine too. All of the major sellers I talked to did reassure me that they were still in production despite the merger and were placing orders and expecting shipments in a month or so. It is also a good sign that Oceanic is still advertising the Geos after pulling a couple other models.

After a ton of phone calls, I did end up finding a couple in stock at Dolphin Scuba Center in California. They sell a bit on Amazon, but didn't have much for ordering online. I called them directly and placed the order over the phone. They gave me a solid deal on the computer and had it delivered to me in Illinois in like 3 days, so it may be worth a call if you're as impatient as I am.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with that shop in any way other than being a customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom