Looking for new watch sized PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They tried to sell me a Sherwood Amphos for $299. It looks pretty decent, but is a PDC that was introduced 4 years ago still considered current technology?

I believe geo2s are older than that, so...
Dive computers are not like cellphones, they don't change all that much.

I went to a LDS today with the intention of picking up a Geo 2.0 and taking advantage of the 20% off for trading in an old dive computer (see Oceanic website).

The did not have any Geo's in-stock and said that all Oceanic inventories were down due to the recent acquisition by Huish.

They tried to sell me a Sherwood Amphos for $299. It looks pretty decent, but is a PDC that was introduced 4 years ago still considered current technology?

The only really "new" tech is:

- color screens. You definitely pay extra for that, if you want it - except for the Cosmiq, which has its own set of "cons".

- changing from using a USB cable for downloads to using Bluetooth. The Geo and the Amphos (I believe) are older and use a USB cable. I think that's really the only drawback to their "age".

My LDS did the same with the amphos today. $299 down from $459. But with same guts as the geo, it appears it's a class of PDC watches that appears to need an update across the industry. I have decided to wait and see what shakes out over the next few months after the transitions.

The perdix sure is tempting though...

I have a Ratio Idiv reb and love it. Compact, intuitive, and feature rich. They are spendy but I may let mine go at a discount. I need a back up computer with cell reading capabilities. Pm me if interested.

I dived a Geo2 as a backup for my VT3 for many years, a really great, reliable, computer wth 2 gases. I could not wear it as a watch.

I have a Ratio Idiv reb and love it. Compact, intuitive, and feature rich. They are spendy but I may let mine go at a discount. I need a back up computer with cell reading capabilities. Pm me if interested.

What computer are you trying to sell? The Ratio or something else? Why?

All of your questions are answered in the post you quoted....

I was actually confused about it, is he selling the ratio that he appears to like or is selling the backup from a different brand.

I believe geo2s are older than that, so...
Dive computers are not like cellphones, they don't change all that much.
The only really "new" tech is:

- color screens. You definitely pay extra for that, if you want it - except for the Cosmiq, which has its own set of "cons".

- changing from using a USB cable for downloads to using Bluetooth. The Geo and the Amphos (I believe) are older and use a USB cable. I think that's really the only drawback to their "age".

So maybe my 20 year old Orca Phoenix and 16 year old Aeris 500AI aren't that dated after all! :)

So maybe my 20 year old Orca Phoenix and 16 year old Aeris 500AI aren't that dated after all! :)

At some point they'll be "vintage" "collectible" "rarities". Sadly, things that don't live forever include sensors, IR eyes, and battery doors.

Back
Top Bottom