Looking For Snow over Christmas (Trade)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Praying really does work :DWe have been praying for this for almost a month now.
This is a true story:
We were on a sail boat 26 Mac about 5 years back and a big lightning storm came up and it hit a tree in the swamps in Hernando Beach the sky lit up red and it was burning something terrible, my son Denis than at age 41/2 said mom can I pray for rain I know we are on our boat but they really need rain or peoples houses are going to burn down, I told him pray honey if that is what you feel and need to do. He prayed and :11: it started raining about 15 min later. It came pouring down. I am no expert on this by any means but it seems that if you pray and it is true to your heart that the good Lord will hear your prayer. The fires were still burning but the news papers said that had it not started raining it would have been out of control and made it to the houses.
Now weather it was his praying or it was going to rain that way anyways I don't know. But I would like to think it was his prayer to God that started that rain. It made all his doubts about God subside that evening and he knew in his heart right than, that there really is a God in heaven. You just need to believe.

That is a true story and my son to this day still tells that story.

Let's just say I got my tongue stuck to the metal edge of a window on the side of a pick-up truck cap once when nobody was around.

OMG, this is the person I trust with my life!?!?!?? :D

Whew! My cubicle buddy said his car read 2F this morning. Mine read 4F but tends to read high.

Have we discussed the long standing tradition of licking metal objects in winter??? :D

Like you have room to talk:rofl3: at least she will give you a pair of mittens and a really good map to get you to the doctors if you need one:rofl3:

I could just see your headlines in the morning paper Kids from the Florida Keys put thier poor tounge's to the flag pole and all Mom could say was WHERE......... IS.......... STEVE I can't believe he told my kids about this. LOL

Like you have room to talk:rofl3: at least she will give you a pair of mittens and a really good map to get you to the doctors if you need one:rofl3:

Yeah, she's also threatened to feed me to wolves, beat me with old scuba magazines and then dice me for raccoon bait, run over me repeatedly, and use part of my anatomy to test her grip strength (she tweaked an elbow)! :shocked: Last week she was talking about bullwhips...no good can come from this!

Honestly, I'm sure she won't run me over. She loves that PT Cruiser (now I'm dead!).

And for Steve Dives next time he has to come in and see me I will make sure he is paid back 10X's over

It makes me nervous that you've been speaking with Ber.

But seriously, a picture of the kids making like their licking a flag pole is a winter classic. Not that I would ever consider staging a photo. :D

More snow fell today, but we have rain and above freezing temps in the forecast for next week. There is snow on day 10 of the 10 day. I'm getting that "white Christmas" feeling. Some years we don't see any snow in December.

OMG, this is the person I trust with my life!?!?!?? :D
Hey, at least I learned my lesson...I was only 17, I was still young and naive :dork2:

I could just see your headlines in the morning paper Kids from the Florida Keys put thier poor tounge's to the flag pole and all Mom could say was WHERE......... IS.......... STEVE I can't believe he told my kids about this. LOL

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I can see it now, scowl on her face while requesting Steve's presence through gritted teeth with hands clenched into fists by her hips just waiting to position themselves around his neck :rofl3::rofl3:

She loves that PT Cruiser (now I'm dead!).
It's not a PT Cruiser and you know it! That's it, I'm letting the raccoons eat you alive :dancingsnoopy:

But seriously, a picture of the kids making like their licking a flag pole is a winter classic. Not that I would ever consider staging a photo. :D
A little warm water on the pole should make it tongue safe; if Steve wants to stage photos I suggest you let him demonstrate the safety of his set-up just in case the kids accidentally get too close with their "pose" :ignore:

OH, I thought of a couple extra snowy weather tidbits on my way to work in the snow this morning:
A kitchen towel is a handy thing to keep in the car to deal with fogging issues if the defroster isn't keeping up. (BTW, wet hair can cause fogging issues inside the car)

Take the time to clean ALL the snow off the car but pay particular attention to headlights, tail lights, license plates, windshield wipers and windshield wiper fluid ports.
It's worth it to take the time to activate your windshield washer fluid before taking off driving to make sure nothing is blocking the ports the stuff sprays from.
Driving in the snow can be nerve racking enough and snow blowing onto the windshield from the hood or bumper can really mess with your ability to see to drive. Snow/ice chunks will blow off of the top and trunk of the car and hit cars around you (very annoying) PLUS the sound of them coming off is startling if you're not used to it. Don't use the ice scraper on the paint though, use a snow brush. I don't know what they include with rental cars as far as snow removal tools go, you might want to ask. If they don't give you a scraper and brush or a combo (scraper on one end, brush on the other) they aren't very expensive and you can buy one just about anywhere (gas stations, drug stores, "big box" stores).

When driving in an "active" snow storm your wipers may start to collect ice and snow. If it gets to the point where your wipers look like ice balls and they are leaving a water trail on your windshield you need to find a safe place to pull over and clean them off, it's not unusual to have to do this. Occasionally you will see someone executing the "catch a wiper" maneuver where they roll down the window and wait for the wiper to come to them then grab it and flip it away from the windshield so it slams back down to knock the ice off. PLEASE don't try this! The quick motion you need to make with your left hand to grab that moving wiper can cause you to yank the steering wheel with your right hand and lose control of the vehicle. Windshield wipers only ice up like this if you are driving through inclement conditions and any sudden steering movements can make your life at the very least a little more interesting for the following moments.

Every time you stop for gas check your headlights and tail lights and clean any salt residue and snow off of them so it's easier for other drivers to see you and you get the benefit of ALL the light they are producing.

Maintain plenty of distance between you and the car in front of you. Imagine them losing control and spinning out in front of you and ask yourself if you feel you have enough room to stop or at least maneuver to avoid a collision without making any sudden braking or steering movements. Sudden/abrupt attempts at stopping or changing directions are almost always greeted with loss of control. Give yourself room and try to stay relaxed while making controlled and fluid movements. Driving on snowy roads is a dance where you and your car are partners and you are leading :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber: It's not a PT Cruiser and you know it! That's it, I'm letting the raccoons eat you alive.

:rofl3::coffin: Steve :rofl3: I'll make sure I wear a raccoon hat to your funeral:rofl3:

Steve: It makes me nervous that you've been speaking with Ber.

You know I am a fast study :fork:and I have been learning alot in the past 2 weeks:rofl3:

This driving thing is scaring me:( Maybe I should rent tank instead of a car.

(BTW, wet hair can cause fogging issues inside the car)

FWIW, there are more fun ways than that to fog up a car. You know I'm talking about singing with a friends in the car, right??? :D

The rental should come with a scraper thing. Look for it in the trunk.

If you're fogging and you have the defroster cranked all the way, see if the air conditioner thing has a recirculate mode and make sure it's off. Cracking open a window will help.

If the car is iced over, you can start it about 5 minutes before you leave. That is plenty of time for it to get toasty inside.

Oh, I forgot the most important thing about winter. We can ice down any amount of...uh...beverage that we can purchase. :D And I'm not driving tonight!

This driving thing is scaring me:( Maybe I should rent tank instead of a car.

It's not horrible if you go slow but it's certainly different if you've never done it. If you get lucky you'll get here a couple days after a storm when the roads are clear and we're back up to highway speed. Always be careful on the bridges and overpasses though, they can harbor black ice which kind of looks like wet road and is impossible to see if the road is actually wet. Skip using your cruise control if the roads aren't dry.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom