Wanted Looking for: VDH Argonaut DSV (2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started in ‘71 with a Voit DH, my last DH was also a Voit. The VDH Kraken is the best of the bunch but a Phoenix and HPR can make a metal can reg a nice modern performer since we need so many hoses nowadays.

after dialing in the D420’s I’m wat to spoiled to fight for air, even the s600 feels like a bad breather.

Do you have to fight for air with a DH?

I like how they breathe (as well as a well tuned single hose), and just love zero bubbles in front of me. You never realize it until you experience it. Sure, there are quirks to them, but it is just part of the mojo.

I also just love the responses from other divers (both the good ones and the bad ones). There were some German tourists in Curacao that just lost their minds looking my rig over. Had a really funny and appreciative response from a group of (I'd speculate GUE) technical divers who were heading up as I was heading down on a wreck in the St. Lawrence. During a SI, they began asking questions as we were rafted together. The real funny part is the young-ish DM's with new divers that ask them about my rig....

If worn properly and new (silicone) diaphragm, and some of the more performanced based updates, they are fantastic breathers. Can crack below 1" of water of you dare. The new design and mods have a really good venturi too. They will suck however if not worn properly, and many times folks trying them out have a bad experience when they strap one on a modern BC...

I like how they breathe (as well as a well tuned single hose), and just love zero bubbles in front of me. You never realize it until you experience it. Sure, there are quirks to them, but it is just part of the mojo.

I also just love the responses from other divers (both the good ones and the bad ones). There were some German tourists in Curacao that just lost their minds looking my rig over. Had a really funny and appreciative response from a group of (I'd speculate GUE) technical divers who were heading up as I was heading down on a wreck in the St. Lawrence. During a SI, they began asking questions as we were rafted together. The real funny part is the young-ish DM's with new divers tht ask them about my rig....

That's awesome.. can they be mounted to doubles? How would that look?

I hate to keep asking probably silly questions, I've just never looked into them before.

You use a single-center post manifold (or the old Sherwood with a center and offset for a second regulator). You don't have the same isolation ability, but can address twins as single tanks depending on manifolds (some unique ones exist, but are somewhat "unicorns"). No, I wouldn't do a technical dive with one, but folks did dive the 'Doria with them back in the day... I'll sling a pony if I'm really pushing it on a dive, but have no issue with using one for all my recreational dives.

Modern version of a center bar manifold (no isolation):
1647012827676.jpeg

The "unicorn":
1647012850237.jpeg

Modern version of a center bar manifold (no isolation):View attachment 711750
The "unicorn":
View attachment 711752

I have an older 3/4" that's on 2 condemned 80al tanks in my basement. I'd have to look at it again, I think it only has a valve on one side. It's from the late 80's or early 90's I suppose. I'll have to take a pic.

No but they are different, as Bob has pointed out, like any regulator available if you dive the same one all of the time you’ll be used to it.

Back
Top Bottom