• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Looking to buy a TI knife with at least a 6 inch blade

Discussion in 'Knives and Cutting Tools' started by Toby W, Jun 27, 2019.

1. HKGuns

HKGuns Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Well, if it makes you feel better, that Buck won't hold up well in Salt water, so he will be replacing, unless he cares for it very well.

Perhaps a used vintage dive knife in the classifieds?

2. Toby W

Toby W Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    He’s had it for a while and takes great care of his equipment. Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep searching and looking at the recommendations made. I’m planning on having and using this knife for a while.

3. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Lion fish ?
    What you need is a California Halibut Hammer

Cheap & very efficient
    sdm

4. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    @Toby W ....In post #19 I posted pictures and a price for a ti knife for your consideration. If you're not interested please let me know.

5. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Toby...

I've resisted posting a comment on this thread because of unwanted blow-back...but here goes...

First of all...why do you need a six inch blade...my dive buddy who was trained back in the day when a dive light was a candle in a plastic bag won't enter the water unless his knife is long enough to double as a full leg splint...

I started diving in 1980...have had several S/S knives in that period that submerged with me...and as of this date have never had the need to use any of them...not once...

My current ''dive knife'' is a DGX titanium skeleton knife...six inches in total...it's in the water with me on each dive...and like the others has never been used...this knife by the way is the only purpose designed ''dive knife'' I've ever owned...it's cheap...and a lanyard can be attached if desired...

Ask any hard-core diver...the best knife is the cheap one that you won't be tempted to risk life and limb if it should drop from your hand...

I don't think your intention was to ever buy a ''vintage'' $1200. knife...

Just me...

Warren

titanium DGX knife.jpg

6. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    One other advantage of a Ti knife is that it can leave a permanent nonwashable metallic trace on glass. So if you write some silly stuff like "John (heart symbol) Jane" on a, say, a window in some motel, this testimony of your devotion will stay there forever.

HKGuns likes this.
  7. Allison Finch

Allison Finch Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    But...but....it's not MACHO!!

Sam Miller III, davehicks and HKGuns like this.
  8. Allison Finch

Allison Finch Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    I just use a paralyzer tip and cut the spines while impaled with long shears

Sam Miller III likes this.
  9. delacrue96

delacrue96 Scuba Chixs Member

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I bought these on Amazon for ~$10
    Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XB4U0C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_yjvgDbE3W5X5V

10. Zef

Zef Divemaster

Why not just bag/containerize the lion fish and wait to start cutting the fins off them when back on land? Far safer from a sting avoidance standpoint and safer from a predator attraction standpoint.

I think the only amazement I would have watching someone cut up a fish underwater regardless of the skill and tool being used is the amazement at the stupidity of the act. I have a hard time understanding why someone spear fishing would want to waste their energy, time, and air, and increase their exposure to risk doing something underwater that is better suited to do above the surface. Then you would not need a ridiculously long knife or one made from unobtanium either.

Let us know when you find what you are looking for.

-Z