Losing regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEL34

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
While swimming during a night dive off of Vancouver Island, about 50ft down, we were all swimming quite close to each other and someones fin kicked my regulator out of my mouth. Being a beginner diver at that point, I didn't think of going for my second source, so I freaked out a bit trying to find my regulator after a few seconds (feeling like minutes) I found my regulators, purged it and continued my dive after I calmed down. Once I surfaced I had a mini break down, then I realized I was okay haha

I practiced going for my second source right after that trip.

And this is exactly why I keep my secondary reg bungeed under my chin. It's always right there.

Glad everything worked out for you!

And this is exactly why I keep my secondary reg bungeed under my chin. It's always right there.

Glad everything worked out for you!

+1

Hard to lose your backup if it is bungied by your face. But if you are not rigged up with a long hose/bungied backup you should practice going to your backup, where ever you keep it. Sounds like you learned what you should have from your "adventure"

Glad you are safe.

+2

I also advocate the bungee'd necklace, for 2 reasons 1. like the others have mentioned, its right there at your chin & 2. I have never, to date, had it fall out of the necklace.

TM, you do not really have to have a long hose to have the bungee'd necklace. On my recreational regulator, I have my primary regulator on a 36" hose & my bungee'd secondary regualtor on a 22" hose (donate the primary, if needed). Works like a charm.

First off I'd like to say I am extremely jealous of you A) Diving in Vancouver B) living in Kelowna I was born in Chilliwack. But home has been Ontario for the last 16 years. I miss that side of our country.

Now with that out of the way another thing you can try and do with your buddies is practice some buddy breathing before the dive as well as breathing off your secondary. Things like this keep those skills fresh in your mind so in a stressful situation you won't panic.

When diving in Bonaire I mindlessly entered the surf (Red Slave, rather rough. I somehow forgot my reg. I swept my arm back and found it after realizing I was missing a small piece of lifesupport like a source of air. I had realized after plunging in the water just wasn't right. Maybe my gills weren't functioning, lol!
My husband caught on video. It was funny to watch the look on my face, shrug shoulder, find reg and AOK.

Why would that be your first choice? Why not do an arm sweep like every diver is taught in basic SCUBA to catch your primary and put it back?

-Charles

You want it bungied at your neck if an OOA diver grabs your primary out of your mouth. Yes - it does happen.

Because it's a lot easier to sweep for it while breathing from another gas source. Seems pretty obvious, no?

At that point, I have a near limitless amount of time to find the lost reg.

What do *you* do when you can't find yours by sweeping (it somehow got stuck behind you) and now you're frantic for gas as you continue searching?

Why would that be your first choice? Why not do an arm sweep like every diver is taught in basic SCUBA to catch your primary and put it back?

-Charles

Personally, I like having my backup bungeed right by my chin...checking that it's in place and accessible is part of my predive check, and it's kind of comforting to know that my alternate is just inches from my mouth should the feces hit the oscillating device.

However, whichever method you practice, make sure you can get to your alternate...practice the motions of removing/recovering your reg, and the act of going for your backup until it's automatic. Losing your reg shouldn't be a cause for a panic-inducing situation, and this might have revealed that you're not as comfortable with your basic skills as you should be.

Might be a good idea to start practicing a few skills on every dive...doesn't have to take up a lot of your time. Just a couple of minutes devoted to the basics...mask clearing, reg removal/retrieval, air sharing, etc. That way when the next unexpected issue comes up, you'll be able to deal with it a lot better...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom