Lost camera & strobes, end of Colombia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome news !!

Glad to hear that you are getting your camera back. :thumb:

Divegoose :)

FANTASTIC NEWS! :yeahbaby: Not sure which captain you had but they certainly have a way of knowing where they are ALL THE TIME. No doubt he knew exactly where the boat was when you lost the camera. Chalk another one up for 3P's going above and beyond (or underneath and beyond)! :clapping:

A friend of ours who has a 2nd mortgage on the house" camera rig fastens it to his BC with a serious self-coiling sheathed cable designed just for that (must be 20x stronger than the toughest retractor and doesn't give that annoying constant strong pull). It looked kind of like a coiled phone cord but could probably hold 200lbs.

Last edited:
I use one of those plus a wrist strap but had released the BCD strap and was ready to hand off to Chan Flan when the other diver snagged my buoy & sort of pulled me from the rope along the side of the boat. During that time the wrist strap slid off & I was concentrating on untangling from the diver. Very little time passed when I realized the camera had slipped away so I swam around but couldn't see it. It's weighted to sink slowly but was already out of sight.

so happy for you! looking forward to your trip report and photos. Congrats on being the lucky one! Thumbs up to 3P's captain Chan Fran! .... and to Julio for recovering it! Glad to hear a happy ending for you!

As I understand it our boat captain passed on where he picked me up and a search was then done by Julio (who I may or may not know). I will get full details & post an update.
Julio dropped in the location and found the camera in 150 feet of water.--Good navigation by both boat captains. One remembering the spot and a particular coral head, and the second captain finding that same area. Just a big shout out to our captains who have plied these waters for years. Of course Julio for fantastic eyesight. Glad everything worked out.
Larry I suggest that you keep your camera clipped to your bc until you get to the boat.

cicopo - To close out the story, if you have a chance, how about posting some of the recovered pictures along with a shot of Julio and the Capt.?

The DM that found the equipment was my friend Julio Kin. When I saw 3ps and Julio mentioned I text him and sure enough it was him. I dove with him for years with another dive op. He works with tres pelicans and has a few clients like me that dive with him. Im not surprised he found it he's the type that can spot a nudi branch or tiny creatures all day long. Larry you may now him from old op.

I think he deserves a shout out- his facebook page is JulioKinVIP scuba Cozumel. Hes a great DM and will take great care of you.

Juliokinvip Scubacozumel

Last edited:
Awesome, now do what I did. Get an extra tether! “Add belt AND suspenders”. :drunks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom