Luxury Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess the suggestions of Little Cayman seem off base to me, even though I think that it is a GREAT dive resort. Actually, I just got back from my second trip there. My wife and I went, and it was for our 25th anniversary, so obviously we think that it is a special place. But it is not luxurious. The diving is really good (here are photos from that recent trip to get a sense of the underwater scenery: Little Cayman 2008 - a set on Flickr )

Similarly Wakatobi has the best diving that I have seen (anywhere). But I do not think that it is luxurious. It is comfortable, exotic, and a wonderful place to stay. I have been there once, and am going back in a couple of weeks.

I would vote for Tahiti, probably Bora Bora or Moorea, in search for luxury accommodations with quality diving. I know that the diving is not on par with some of the very best destinations (e.g., Indonesia, Fiji, Papua New Guinea), but it is very good. The reefs are very healthy, the fish populations are impressive, and there is lots of cool stuff. I stayed at the Bora Bora Pearl and the Moorea Sheraton. Both were good, but the Bora Bora Pearl Resort was certainly more luxurious. Here is a link to pictures from my family trip there last year.

2007 tahiti - a set on Flickr

I enjoy this thread a lot because there are so many great ideas of fun places to go.

I guess there are different expectations for 'luxury'.....but in my experiences, the Lodge at Kura Hulanda in Curacao (Westpunt area) provided a great balance of luxurious accomodations, onsite activities, and outstanding diving at the onsite Ocean Encounters dive op. The setting is spectacular and the food at the resort was great.

You can also visit (or stay at) the Kura Hulanda hotel, spa, and museum in Willemstad.....the museum and hotel grounds there are amazing but I was happier staying at the peaceful Lodge resort location, where the diving is wonderful.

Lodge Kura Hulanda and Beach Club - upscale resort in Curacao

I forgot to add comments about the Cuan Law liveaboard and the Anse Chastenet resort, which were mentioned in earlier posts.

We sailed on the Lammer Law (sister boat to the Cuan Law) years ago in the Galapagos, but this was before we started diving. The boat was beautiful and spacious with good food and service......this was our only liveaboard, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think it may be a bit more 'luxurious' than other diving liveaboards.

We also stayed a few years back at Anse Chastenet, also before we started diving. The setting is beautiful, with the magical view of the Pitons. The food was just okay. From what I've read, the diving is mediocre. The accomodations were fun, but I wouldn't call it luxurious. And depending where you stay, there are lots of steps down to the dining room and then more down to the beach.....or if you stay beachside, there are lots of steps up for meals.

I am taking a small group to Wakatobi in Oct. '08. Would you or any friends be interested in joining us for a S. Pacific/ Wakatobi adventure? The resort and diving are suppose to be fabulous. If interested, I'll pass along the details.
Carl

I agree with Damselfish. Young Island Resort is very nice and reasonable esp if you book on Luxurylink.com. Check it out on Tripadvisor.com as Luxury is so subjective. I think that this place is the true definition of relaxed sophistication but some folks may insist on A/C or fancier bathrooms.

As far as diving, I'd say that diving with Bill Tewes is something that you should not miss. His passion and knowledge of the small and unusual is unmatched anywhere.
Call and make sure that Bill will be diving during you stay. His staff is good, but not close to his level of expertise.

Take a look at Fathoms Issue 21. The Wakaya Club, Figi looked good enough for my champagne taste (too bad; have a tap water budget.).

We kept our sailboat at Nanny Cay in the BVI for 7 years. I don't know about resorts (always stayed on our boat) but Blue Water Divers, located at Nanny Cay and at West End is an excellent dive operator. Peter Island Resort is very nice, yes they have a dive shop and Blue Water will pick you up. If you dive with Blue Water tell them that Angelo sent you and say Hi! for me.

Where are good places to travel to in January or February, with good weather, warm water, and good viz, for a really nice dive vacation?

Utila, Honduras is a great place in Late January and February. This is the beginning of high season there and the vis is quite good and the weather beautiful. Utopia Village is a very nice dive & spa resort and is currently offering a Holiday Special...visit their website called utopiautila.

Excellent!!! Thanks to all. I'm yet to find a luxury/dive combo. But now at least i have some where to start looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom