MacDive, Mac Log DT etc. and iPhone software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GiantMoray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm trying to work out what software to use with my Suunto Vyper Air. I obviously want to be able to import all data, including the air usage data in future. I also want to be able to add notes etc on my iPhone and at least go through previous dives etc, ideally it would be good to use my GPS location with phone and attach to the dive data later, not sure if this is possible.

I've searched but can't find much about the software on here.

Thanks
James

Hi,

I'm trying to work out what software to use with my Suunto Vyper Air. I obviously want to be able to import all data, including the air usage data in future. I also want to be able to add notes etc on my iPhone and at least go through previous dives etc, ideally it would be good to use my GPS location with phone and attach to the dive data later, not sure if this is possible.

Thanks
James

The two programs you mention do somewhat different things, but both have maps built in via Google Earth- not sure about taking GPS directly from your phone though. You could certainly do it manually if you have an app that allows you to save GPS waypoints (there are lots).

There is a lengthy thread onMacDive here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...nalyzers/225186-new-mac-os-x-dive-app-18.html MacDive imports directly from most dive computers- you can check which ones here: MacDive. You can get a limited free demo to look at the program, and it synchs to iOS with Dive Log. Info here: MacDive

Dive Log More Mobile Software - Quality iPhone and MacOS software for a Fun Mobile Life! does not import directly from the dive computer, but takes data from the manufacturer's desktop software or MacDive (with two way synch available) and puts it in your iPhone/ iPad. Dive Log Manager Dive Log Manager is a Mac program for the desktop that will import from variety of other logbooks and manage them between your desktop and iOS devices.

They seem to have plenty of happy users, and the developers are very responsive.

Ron

Next month we are releasing a version of divePAL iPad that supports the Vyper Air.
divePAL integrates Dive Planner, Dive Logger and Dive Computer Simulator in the same App :wink:

divePAL_suunto_vyperair_ipad.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Hi,

Thanks
James

Disclosure: I am one of the authors of Dive Log and Dive Log Manager so I'm more than a little biased

Just wanted to make sure that you got an answer to your question. This is in fact how we designed Dive Log to work. The idea is you can take your iDevice with you to the dive site or on the boat and record information about the dives. You can use Dive Log to record the dive - including entering site information and use the devices GPS to record this, you can take a picture of the site, you can make comments about the dive, add buddy information including contact info, get a buddy signature etc etc. Everything you would normally log.

As Ron mentioned, Dive Log Manager (DLM) does not (yet) support direct download of any dive computers. So you can use whichever desktop software you want to download your Vyper. But then use Dive Log Manager to transfer your logbook from your iDevice to the desktop, and then *merge* in the downloaded information like profile into what you've already recorded. Then DLM to transfer the logbook back to your iOS device. We supply a free MacOS version of DLM to do all this. You only need to purchase a license for it if you also want to be able to edit your logbook on the desktop.

MacDive (MacDive) will also sync directly with Dive Log on iOS and also download your Vyper. You just need to make sure that the time you enter for the dive under iOS is close enough to the time on your dive computer. It didn't sound like it, but if you are on a PC you can also use Diving Log 5.0 (Diving Log 5.0 - Scuba Log, Scuba Logbook, Dive Log, Divelog - Logbook software for scuba diving - Logbuch Software zum Tauchen) to do the same thing.

Lots more information to be found on the websites of each one and there are also user forums for each of us as well.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other specific questions,
Janice
More Mobile Software
More Mobile Software - Quality iPhone and MacOS software for a Fun Mobile Life!

Janice,
This may be a little off subject but I did not think that an iPad or iPhone can connect and download data from a Suunto device. Anytime I have connected just that download cable (for either Cobra or D9) to my iPad (latest version) it tells me it can not be used a the device need more power than the iPad can support.
Is there a trick around this?

Tom B.

Tom,

You are quite right - there is no way currently to connect any dive computers to an iDevice. Each cable/device would need to be licensed/vetted by Apple (and of course software created too) and it's really just cost prohibitive for such a small market. I did not mean to give you this impression. (*See note below*)

What I meant to describe above is that you can do everything else about logging your dive on your iDevice using Dive Log while you are on the boat or shore. Then when you return to your laptop/desktop machine, you sync your logbook to the desktop, download your dive computer there, and then merge in that dive computer data into what you already logged. So, using some numbers might help. Using Dive Log you create your dives numbered 42&43 entering site/GPS location information, weighting, maybe tank info, take a picture of the site, what equipment you used, have your buddy sign etc etc. Then later on, you sync your logbook back to the laptop, download your dive computer (using whatever desktop software supports it), and then import/merge the dive computer information into your already logged dives #42 & 43. Only the dive computer information will be added and anything else you already logged for that dive will stay. Then sync your logbook back to your iDevice so it's now in both places again.

Janice

NOTE1: If a dive computer supports transferring it's logbook information via a *wireless* transport, like bluetooth or wifi, then the whole licensing thing would not apply. Only if you try to plug something into the dock connector do you run into this.
NOTE2: There is now a generic RS232 (ish) serial cable available that is approved by Apple that you can plug into the dock connector. So if a dive computer had an RS232 serial interface, one could write software for an iDevice that downloaded it using this cable (and associated software library) with the dock connector on one side and the dive computer on the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom