Mach V and Hammerhead BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Gar,

Have u tried reversing the 1st stage? I think that might lower the height by almost an inch. I haven't got round to trying that, lowering the plate and other suggestions cos I hadn't had time to dive lately.

Gar:
I am having the same problem - tank hitting head. I have AL HH Backplate with the 2 piece STA. Using a Apeks ATX 200. I have tried everything. My last effort will be to drill additional holes so I can lower the tank.

Oh no, Jess... Maybe try smaller bolts that can fit the Agir? Rather than have to drill.

JessH:
About that Agir-brokk STA I mentioned. It turns out that its bolts are just barely too large for the holes in the hammerhead backplate. I thought that the bolt size would be standard but I guess not...... I am going to probably just take a drill to the BP.

~Jess

Halcyon - Not sure what you mean?

I'm using an xtx200 fsr 1st stage which is I believe is virtually identical to yours in shape. If you invert the 1st stage (by reversing the hosing accordingly) so the 'head' with the apeks diaphragm seal faces DOWN, that might lower the height of the 1st stage by half an inch or so. The 'head' is longer than the lower bit, as you can see from the image... Or at least I was told by an instructor.

http://www.apeks.co.uk/images/products/atx200.jpg

Ah - that is what I thought you meant. However, I was advised against this. Have you done it? Is there any degradation in performance.

Really? Don't see why it might be bad since the 100 is aligned that way - seal down. Maybe that would detract from the 'superior angling of the hoses'... LOL!

I will be taking my reg to the Apeks dealer to ask him bout this and will let u know what he says. Cheers.

Gar:
Ah - that is what I thought you meant. However, I was advised against this. Have you done it? Is there any degradation in performance.

Have you flipped the tank completely around so that the first stage is on the outside?

halcyon:
Oh no, Jess... Maybe try smaller bolts that can fit the Agir? Rather than have to drill.
The bolts are threaded into the Agir which I really like. I could remove them but the new bolts wouldn't thread into it. I am just going to drill out the holes on my BP to 3/8". It seems that most BPs have that size anyway.

~Jess

I drilled my HH plate to fit 3/8" bolts as well. I can still use the 5/16" bolts for the HH STA when diving single tanks.

Today I tried diving my HH AL plate without the 2-piece STA... I loved it. I had done three dives with and today did two without. I had similiar problems as the OP. Without the STA I was able to lower the tank and it sat close to my back like it should. The secret, as Tobin wrote, is to avoid any protruding screws. I'm going to put the STA on ebay, no way I'm going back. It really felt much better, more stable in and out of the water. Just my 2 cents... it's worth a try for those having clearance issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom