Mach V and Hammerhead BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am seriouly thinking of ordering a Hammerhead Al bp with 2-pcs STA, with a OMS 32lb wing. Any opinions on this setup diving in warm water with 3mm wetsuit? Or should i go for a 17-20lbs wing?
Seems the Hammerheadscuba website is down, does anyone have their contact number?

If you are properly weighted either wing would probably work. I went with a 30 pound wing in order to have that little bit of extra lift for floating on the surface, etc... Both Tobin (DSS) and Patrick(Oxycheq) make 30 pound wings with a very low profile which makes the smaller wings less appealing.

I don't have hammerheads contact info but if you search for S&W Metal works and give them a call that should work as well. They are the ones making and selling the plates. Hammehead is just the name they came up with for the little backplate side business.

~Jess

yellowsub:
I am seriouly thinking of ordering a Hammerhead Al bp with 2-pcs STA, with a OMS 32lb wing. Any opinions on this setup diving in warm water with 3mm wetsuit? Or should i go for a 17-20lbs wing?
Seems the Hammerheadscuba website is down, does anyone have their contact number?

JessH:
If you are properly weighted either wing would probably work. I went with a 30 pound wing in order to have that little bit of extra lift for floating on the surface, etc... Both Tobin (DSS) and Patrick(Oxycheq) make 30 pound wings with a very low profile which makes the smaller wings less appealing.

I don't have hammerheads contact info but if you search for S&W Metal works and give them a call that should work as well. They are the ones making and selling the plates. Hammehead is just the name they came up with for the little backplate side business.

~Jess

Jess,

If I were dedictating a wing just for warm water diving, the 18# Razor is slick. It has a slick profile and because of the lift, it is the lowest drag wing we have. You don't even know it is on whether inflated or not.

That said, a 30# wing will give you more flexibility in diving.

I made the 18# Razor for me personally. i was just fortunate that a small segment of the diving population wanted something similar.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

I definitely agree that the 18# Razor is nice, and if I could afford an additional wing for the occasional cold water stuff I would probably have gone with that instead. I was actually seriously considering going with the 18# anyway and then you came out with the Mach V which seemed to be a good compromise for my needs. I don't regret it one bit, although an 18# Razor would be nice, or what about an 18#Mach V? :)

~Jess

JessH:
I definitely agree that the 18# Razor is nice, and if I could afford an additional wing for the occasional cold water stuff I would probably have gone with that instead. I was actually seriously considering going with the 18# anyway and then you came out with the Mach V which seemed to be a good compromise for my needs. I don't regret it one bit, although an 18# Razor would be nice, or what about an 18#Mach V? :)

~Jess

Jess,

I agree with you, having an extra wing dedicated for warm water is a luxury and is not needed. A 30# class wing is a good range for most single cylinder diving. If I only wanted one wing for single cylinders it would be a 30# class.

Also, you do not want to lose your mind like me and end up with three scooters, seven rebreathers and then get into the diving business.

Oh, I don't see a Mach V 18# on the horizon. I can see it in my mind --- it would look like you wrapped a long sausage around the cylinder. :)

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.cm

Patrick, did you get my email a few weeks ago? I sent it to oxycheq AT bellsouth DOT net

Patrick:
Oh, I don't see a Mach V 18# on the horizon. I can see it in my mind --- it would look like you wrapped a long sausage around the cylinder. :)

Well if you do make it can you do me a favor and make it in orange? That way I can convince divers that I am an old school diver who dives with no BC. I just keep my safety sausage stored around my tank.

~Jess

Patrick:

I am stuck deciding between a 18 and 30#. What exactly do you mean when you say the 30 # wing gives you more flexibility? I am strictly a warm water diver. 3mm max, most of the time less. Al 80 or 95.

Also, have you had many punctures on a razor wing? Your website says if I am tough on my gear then I should get the signature with a bladder. Dont know how rough I am.

Lastly, I have been told that because of its design, the Mach V does not look any bigger than the Razor 18. Any comments from anyone?

Thanks to all

Paul

partridge:
Patrick:

I am stuck deciding between a 18 and 30#. What exactly do you mean when you say the 30 # wing gives you more flexibility? I am strictly a warm water diver. 3mm max, most of the time less. Al 80 or 95.

Also, have you had many punctures on a razor wing? Your website says if I am tough on my gear then I should get the signature with a bladder. Dont know how rough I am.

Lastly, I have been told that because of its design, the Mach V does not look any bigger than the Razor 18. Any comments from anyone?

Thanks to all

Paul

My opinion, if you will be diving steel and a 3 mil suit, you want to get the 30. The 95 's at their service pressure are about 8 # neg. Add to that your regs, other accessories and whatever lead or steel (plate) you need to off set the wetsuit, you might be pushing the limits of the 18 if you want to float your rig.
I thought about the 18 for my summer diving, but fact is with the 30# razor, I don't even know it is there and the gas moves very easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom