Mach V and Hammerhead BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick:
IMO, one of the best plates for single tank diving is the old plastic plate. It has a handle, is very light and compact for travel, and they are dirt cheap (not water front dirt).
I used one an entire week in Coz two years ago.
Patrick:
If you used one of the older plastic plates and wanted to add weight to it, you could add lead bullet weights on both sides of the cam straps. This method can also be used with existing steel plates.
Or you could use Pat's Medium weight pockets attached to the cam straps.

Ron

Is Hammerhead still out there? Their website appears to be down.

For those who have the Hammerhead plates and STA (esp. the heavyweight STA), how do they work with the Mach V? I've read that they are a bit bulky compared to some other BPs and STAs.

The HH plates I have (AL and steel) work just fine with the Oxcheq single wings using either the one piece or two piece STA. I constantly swap stuff around depending on what wetsuit I'm wearing and where I'm traveling.

My only complaint about the HH STA is that they tend to bite into tanks and scratch them up. My solution was to just wrap the edges with a bit of duct tape. Eventually I'll get around to grinding the edges smooth so I don't scratch up my tanks so much.

My wife uses the DSS system. Her plate works great as well. Actually, her plate is built/finished to a much higher standard than the HHs I have. But for one DSS plate I was able to get my two HH plates.

Cathan:
My wife uses the DSS system. Her plate works great as well. Actually, her plate is built/finished to a much higher standard than the HHs I have.

Thank you, our goal is to offer the best.

Cathan:
But for one DSS plate I was able to get my two HH plates.

That's a common misconception.

We offer a complete rig for $445. That includes a medium StainLess Backplate, Hogarthian Harness Kit including Knife and Sheath, your choice of a 20, 30, or 40 lbs wing, and cambands with wedge blocks.

If you "back out" the cost of the wing, or comparable wings (~$285) and the cost of the Harness Kit or comparable kits (~$45-55) and the cost of a pair of cambands (~$40) you are really paying only $70 for our plate. That's a bargin for a system that's designed to work together and includes features that simply are not available elsewhere.

Tobin

Cathan:
The HH plates I have (AL and steel) work just fine with the Oxcheq single wings using either the one piece or two piece STA. I constantly swap stuff around depending on what wetsuit I'm wearing and where I'm traveling.

My only complaint about the HH STA is that they tend to bite into tanks and scratch them up. My solution was to just wrap the edges with a bit of duct tape. Eventually I'll get around to grinding the edges smooth so I don't scratch up my tanks so much.

My wife uses the DSS system. Her plate works great as well. Actually, her plate is built/finished to a much higher standard than the HHs I have. But for one DSS plate I was able to get my two HH plates.

Another solution is to dip the edges in "Plastic Dip". Might also be found as "Tool Dip". Can be found at WalMart or any hardware store.

Best regards,

Patrick
----
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

cool_hardware52:
That's a common misconception.

We offer a complete rig for $445. That includes a medium StainLess Backplate, Hogarthian Harness Kit including Knife and Sheath, your choice of a 20, 30, or 40 lbs wing, and cambands with wedge blocks.

If you "back out" the cost of the wing, or comparable wings (~$285) and the cost of the Harness Kit or comparable kits (~$45-55) and the cost of a pair of cambands (~$40) you are really paying only $70 for our plate. That's a bargin for a system that's designed to work together and includes features that simply are not available elsewhere.

Tobin

Tobin - I'm certainly not knocking the pricing when buying a full-setup. It's one of the reasons my wife is using your gear. And it is why I have sent a bunch of people your way when they need a full set-up. In my case though, I had a number of the things that come in your kit and was asking for the parts I was missing from various family members as x-mas gifts.

Anyway, my family is very happy with all of the gear we have - DSS, Oxycheq, HH, etc.

Patrick- Thanks for the tip on the plastic dip. i knew there was something out there. The last time I went to HD and tried to describe what I was looking for I was met with blank stares. Now at least i know the name. When the duct tape wears out I'll try again. :)

Cathan:
Thanks for the tip on the plastic dip. i knew there was something out there. The last time I went to HD and tried to describe what I was looking for I was met with blank stares. Now at least i know the name.

If you plan on using Tool Dip for anything budget some time. You need multiple coats. It's like dipping a candle. Plan to have the part drain / drip / dry.

The coating on commercial tools like pliers etc is a heat applied Pastisol, different process. If you are patient you can build up a usable coating, but you will be older than when you started :wink:

Tobin

Cathan:
Patrick- Thanks for the tip on the plastic dip. i knew there was something out there. The last time I went to HD and tried to describe what I was looking for I was met with blank stares. Now at least i know the name. When the duct tape wears out I'll try again. :)

Cathan,

Quite welcome. Glad I could help. It comes in black, yellow and red --- maybe green. Of course, I would go for the black. I know I have seen it at WalMart and it is likely less expensive there as well. I would look in the tool, paint and automotve sections.

You will have to make repeated "dips" with it to build up thickness, but you should be
very happy with the end result.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

SkiDiver:
For those who have the Hammerhead plates and STA (esp. the heavyweight STA), how do they work with the Mach V? I've read that they are a bit bulky compared to some other BPs and STAs.
Mine is working great. I am using the aluminum plate and the 2 piece STA. They aren't as finished as some other products on the market, but the price is great. I have been meaning to round off the edges but really it is not at all required. If you wanted to get the hammehead plate finished they would most likely do it for you for a price. They are a custom metal shop after all.

I wouldn't use the word bulky to describe the hammerhead products but the STA is larger than some others available. Of course this really doesn't matter since it goes between the tank and the wing. Anything smaller/lighter and you would need to add additional weight somewhere else when diving aluminum tanks.

If you want a lighter STA option Aggir-brok makes a 2 piece aluminum STA that is very small and weighs almost nothing. I also like how the bolts are threaded into it. In the US I have only found it available including SS cam bands for about $80. That is a decent price if you need the cam bands, a bit much if you don't.

The DSS plates that Tobin makes are flater and will most likely keep your tank slightly closer to your back when diving singles. This might be nice but I personally didn't feel that it was worth the extra money. It is a non-problem. Also I prefer the aluminum backplate. I am sure that his Kydex/SS plate is durable enough, but I like keeping it all metal.

~Jess

cool_hardware52:
You are right, $70 is not a bad price for the plate, and if I had been able to buy it for that price I may have gone that route. But $120 for the Kydex plate doesn't look so great when I can get an aluminum plate and an STA for $70. $175 for the SS plate also seems a bit high to me.

They do look like great plates, and because of the extra features and thought that went into their design I would say that they are worth more than your average plate, but unless I was buying a package deal I wouldn't go anywhere near them due to the price.

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom