Macro lenses for the EPL1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In other thread, I asked whether I can use my Zuiko 35mm, macro with converter. The answer is NOT since the converter will not fit the inside diameter of the port. I am stuborn, I hope this answer is based on Olympus MMF-2 converter.

I just received my 10bar housing from Jack - :D
I check, the port inside diameter is 72mm. The max. diameter of panny converter DMW-MA1 is 71mm and the Oly previous converter MMF-1 (no longer available) is 65mm. Theoretically possible to use it, but I can’t check – cannot find any camera store here stock this converter. There’s few MMF-1 listed in e-bay, either very expensive or they don’t ship outside US.

Zuiko 35mm macro may not as sharp as 50mm, but inexpensive, higher magnification 1:1 (2:1 equivalent on a 35mm). I’m quite happy with the performance of this lens for topside.
Here’s the review of this lens Olympus Digital Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 macro - Review / Lens Test Report

There's one thing people haven't mentioned in this thread. The kit zoom, the 14-42mm lens that comes with most EPL-1 kits, is an OK macro lens at 42mm. The maximum magnification is around 0.6 instead of 1.0 for a true macro lens (using 35mm equivalents), but that's actually pretty useful underwater. Sharpness is also really good at f/8.0 and above.

In my opinion, that's yet another reason to wait for the Olympus 50mm macro.

There's one thing people haven't mentioned in this thread. The kit zoom, the 14-42mm lens that comes with most EPL-1 kits, is an OK macro lens at 42mm. The maximum magnification is around 0.6 instead of 1.0 for a true macro lens (using 35mm equivalents), but that's actually pretty useful underwater. Sharpness is also really good at f/8.0 and above.

Do you like the macro adaptors also ?(reefnet 5x and 1x by olympus)

just tried my new Epoque DL macro lens on the Olympus casing and it seems to work fine to achieve about 2x magnification and 1:1 size. Cant' compare to the INON everybody recommends but which has a bit less magnification. The Epoque has 2 pairs of sandwiched glass.

Attachments

• gambero bocca 2.jpg
    gambero bocca 2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 269

I tried to mount both the standard 4/3 35m and 50mm macro lenses with adapter in my housing, but they won't fit through the port hole.

I will try a dry diopter added to the kit lens in my Zen Dome. The kit lens has a 40.5 mm filter ring. I'm concerned about vignetting and may use a step up ring with 52mm close up lenses. This might be the cheapest and easiest way to get better macro now.

I've read very good things about the Panasonic Leica 45mm macro, especially for underwater shooting. If you can afford it, it's absolutely one of the best macro options for m4/3. The Olympus 50mm macro lens might be a viable choice this spring, but if it follows the specs of the regular 4/3 version it will only be a 1:2 macro lens, not 1:1 like the Pana-Leica.

While I agree that the Panasonic 45 macro is a very sharp lens it has issues. First is that it is slow to focus and if used with the stock Olympus port the lens sits over two inches back inside the port when fully extended. For that reason I would only recommend the lens if it were being used with the ZEN Underwater port ($399.00) which is designed for that lens and is coming soon. Olympus also has a 50 mm macro on the 2011 roadmap for release by spring. That lens should sell for much less because it will work with the image stabilization built into the E-PL1 body unlike the Pany lens where it is built into the lens.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil,
I've just been doing a lot of research on the leica lens for use with the E-PL1. I had just convinced myself to fork over the 700 odd USD, when I came across your post.
Now 700 is one thing, but 700 + 400 for a ZEN underwater port is another... On the other hand, I really want a macro lens. And from what I've heard the Zuiko 50mm 1) doesn't offer as much magnification and 2) isn't ideal in the standard olympus case either.
I was wondering if you could possibly let me know the extent of the issue of the two inches / focussing on the front pane. I mean, is it just annoying to focus (so you would just miss a couple of opportunities to take pictures) or is it downright useless to even try? I'm definitely not as gifted a photographer as you, but on the other hand, if it's at all feasible to do it in the standard casing, I'll just have to learn to deal with it...
Would be very helpful to hear back from you.
Best,
Isa

Hi Isa,

First, the newer the camera model (i.e. E-PL-1/2/3) the faster the Panasoic 45 macro lens will respond. My first tests of the lens were with the E-PL1 and the lens "hunted" in the stock port not always locking onto the subject. As a result the battery drained much faster than with other lenses. The images were still very sharp and the lens is usable just expect to have focusing issues. The ZEN port does not have these issues and the lens is much closer to the port glass which also improves magnification when a close-up lens is used with the macro lens. Expect Olympus to release a 50mm macro for M4/3 before the end of the year. This new lens will also most likely need its own macro port as well, so don't wait thinking that it will fit the stock dome as well as a custom port. The other choice is to use the Olympus 50 macro lens for the 4/3 DSLR cameras with an adapter. I have not tried this combo and can not comment on how it works or if it works in the stock port. So yes you can use the 45 macro in the stock port but it will not work as well as with the ZEN port.

Phil Rudin

Hi Isa,

First, the newer the camera model (i.e. E-PL-1/2/3) the faster the Panasoic 45 macro lens will respond. My first tests of the lens were with the E-PL1 and the lens "hunted" in the stock port not always locking onto the subject. As a result the battery drained much faster than with other lenses. The images were still very sharp and the lens is usable just expect to have focusing issues. The ZEN port does not have these issues and the lens is much closer to the port glass which also improves magnification when a close-up lens is used with the macro lens. Expect Olympus to release a 50mm macro for M4/3 before the end of the year. This new lens will also most likely need its own macro port as well, so don't wait thinking that it will fit the stock dome as well as a custom port. The other choice is to use the Olympus 50 macro lens for the 4/3 DSLR cameras with an adapter. I have not tried this combo and can not comment on how it works or if it works in the stock port. So yes you can use the 45 macro in the stock port but it will not work as well as with the ZEN port.

Phil Rudin[/QUOTE

hi Phil,
hoping maybe you have some updated information. I broke my 14-42mm and need to replace it. I also have a 9-18. My question is in addition to my 14-42, do you recommend the 50 macro for this system. Will it fit in the same housing and port? And if so, is there enough of a significant improvement in macro over the 14-42 to support the cost? Or is there an even better choice. I'm truly just a recreational shooter and have very little technical knowledge. :) just live for macro! Thank Yu!
Nili

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom