Maintaining Trim while motionless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new diver, I have been working to improve trim and bouyancy control. I feel fairly confident in my ability to hold trim and depth, although with any task loading I can break trim and that is currently what I am working. For instance, staying fixed during a mask removal and replacement.

Just to nitpick: you can do mask clearing in a perfect horizontal trim, but you need a mask with a purge valve. For a mask without that, you'll have to go vertical to do it the way it's taught, or turn sideways to do it the way it's not taught. :wink:

Floating face-up in the pool is a good way to get the feel for your body's natural trim. Getting fully relaxed is the biggest part of it, breathing into your lower abdomen and arching your back like in @kev's picture are the next two. Bending the knees and moving your hands above your head usually helps too.

Me, I've an easy way out: an Al plate and all my weight is in the trim pouches on shoulder straps.

I do mask clear in horizontal trim. So do all my students. It's not necessary to go vertical or use a nose purge.

I do mask clear in horizontal trim. So do all my students. It's not necessary to go vertical or use a nose purge.

horizontal-ish. In doubles especially I can't get my head far enough back to get it to clear all the way. I have to go up about 20* or so

One thing that can help is body position once in reasonable trim - use the arms and legs as a lever.

This is right on the money. Get your gear set up, but doing as this poster advises is key. You can set up your gear perfectly, then change where your arms and legs are and it will be off by a small amount. Your gear configuration is passive, your arms and legs provide "active" trim that is adjustable.

I adjust how far in front of me I hold my hands (usually clasped together with gauges on my wrists / forearms). How much knee bend I hold on my legs. 90 degress when frog kicking - but when resting it varies.

AND - you can also spread your arms and legs while hovering motionless which will help with any minor rolling your configuration is causing. (emphasis on "minor").

Hope that helps - you are doing well working on a very important skill.

horizontal-ish. In doubles especially I can't get my head far enough back to get it to clear all the way. I have to go up about 20* or so
I can see that with valve positioning for drills. In rec backmount I can just get it. In sidemount no sweat.

It's not necessary to go vertical
Agreed. I do, however, prefer to go a little bit beyond perfectly horizontal. IMO and all that...

As a new diver, I have been working to improve trim and bouyancy control. I feel fairly confident in my ability to hold trim and depth, although with any task loading I can break trim and that is currently what I am working. For instance, staying fixed during a mask removal and replacement. The other issue is that if I become completely motionless I will slowly roll or break trim. Most recently I was slowly rolling to the left and back.

However, when I came back from my trip I started watching videos closely, and I notice that in almost all cases the diver is not completely motionless, but is slowly moving his/her fins back and forth. Often its small and just using the ankles, but there is a this more or less constant back and forth motion that helps maintain balance. I have watched GUE videos, ISE videos, random videos, etc.

So I have a few questions:
1. What is a realistic goal for holding trim/position with minimal movement? I assume no use of hands/arms, and very minor fin movements.
2. Is there a specific pattern or style for this small fin movement I see. In other words, is it specifically taught, or do divers just learn to do it unconsciously to maintain trim.
3. If one completely stops all movement, how long is a normal time before rolling/tilting occurs and trim breaks down.

I can tell you that I took GUE Primer and then Fundamentals almost a year later, not even earning a Rec pass until I returned a few months later after spending 10 hours on the bottom of a pool with my buddy (wife) trying to get that hover down. Only then was I able to meet (probably just barely) GUE Recreational standards (and that's not even the more stringent Tech standard). The first time I tried hovering, in the Primer class, I had exactly the experience you describe: rolling, pitching, etc. I remember that roll very well: It would start out slow, and before I could correct it, I would be out of control, and I would be on my side or even upside down. I remember the forward pitch, too, which was seemingly precipitated by me getting into good horizontal trim: Started out slow, then ... face plant!

But it was simply a matter of practice. "Like learning to ride a bicycle," as my GUE instructor reassured me. There is an element of balance when one is trying to hover in shallow water, i.e., with no air in the wing. There's a big inverted "keel" on your back in the form of a tank, trying to roll you over!

Most people find just remaining motionless one of the most difficult skills. My buddy and I spent most of those 10 hours just facing each other, in trim, on the bottom of the pool--punctuated by S-drills and a few frog kicks, but really, the majority of time we spent just hovering there doing almost nothing. I kept a log of how the practice sessions progressed. "Today, we finally managed not to roll to one side when not task loaded, but when we tried adding an S-drill, it all went to pieces." That's how the log went.

So, to address your specific questions, after a while, the "realistic goal" becomes, well, hovering--just as you see in those videos! Eventually, with practice, you will look just like those people. You will make small fin movements (micro-finning, I call it) to stabilize yourself, but it will become innate--you won't have to think about it. As to your third question, once you figure out how to stabilize yourself continuously, through balance and micro-finning, you will NOT start rolling and pitching at all.

Don't sweat it. Again, it is simply a matter of practice. If you tell me you have spent 10 hours on the bottom of a pool, lake, spring run, etc., trying to hover and still can't get it, then I might raise an eyebrow. But from what you describe, your experience is completely normal.

I'm currently trying to learn to do the same things in double tanks and drysuit, and sure enough, there was the same sort of learning curve--a little less steep, but there I was, trying not to pitch forward or backward. But this time, I kept in mind that I had conquered this stuff in single-tank configuration, and I knew I could do it in doubles and drysuit.

Last edited:
Agreed. I do, however, prefer to go a little bit beyond perfectly horizontal. IMO and all that...

I was exaggerating of course, but I cannot clear it completely while perfectly horizontal. OK, to be precise: face down horizontal -- physics suggests I could probably do it face-up. Maybe I should try that some day...

I was exaggerating of course, but I cannot clear it completely while perfectly horizontal. OK, to be precise: face down horizontal -- physics suggests I could probably do it face-up. Maybe I should try that some day...
Ah yes, I see the problem now.... Looking up makes things SOOO much clearer...
:cheers:

Just to nitpick: you can do mask clearing in a perfect horizontal trim, but you need a mask with a purge valve. For a mask without that, you'll have to go vertical to do it the way it's taught, or turn sideways to do it the way it's not taught. :wink:

I picked that example because I like to practice skills during a safety stops, and early on in my diving I checked my depth (15ft), did a mask removal and replacement, and checked depth again and it was 10 ft......

I am better than that now, but i still need a visual reference or focus on my computer to hold precise depth during a safety stop. Close my eyes for a period and I will drift up or down, usually up. For instance I probably holding my breath (or take a deeper breath) when I take my mask off or do a regulator swap, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom