Maintaining your scuba equipment is like...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Bring out yer opinions! No right answer. Maintaining your scuba equipment is like...

- Maintaining an airplane. When something goes wrong at altitude, it goes wrong in a BIG way. Precision and perfection matters no matter how far you fly. Service your Piper Cub as if you're a member of the Blue Angels.

- Maintaining a car. It's OK if it's banged up and looks like crap if you're only going around the block, but if you're entering a Formula 1 race you have to bring it to a different level.

- Maintaining a bicycle. Pull it out each spring and lube it, then do nothing more but add a little air when the tires run low. It usually just works, and if it doesn't you just leg it.

Three different philosophies. Yours?

- Dack

Daily-like a bicycle, give it a look over, rinse and add air
Yearly-Like a plane, have a good tech give it an annual

for fun the car-method might be enough but if you're thinking about using it regularly and maybe use it for a living you'd better treat it like a bicycle daily and like an airplane every 2-3 months.

Thomas

Is like...mowing that huge lawn. Except the lawn stops growing in winter.

Scuba Equipment is like airplanes, the stuff that comes from Europe is quirky/ over engineered. While American kit is built to do the job and intuitive to use. Think Boeing and Airbus.
I like Poseidon Regs as long as I have access to my tools to fettle them. If I was going to a remote location where I wanted my kit to work without a little fine tuning I would take my Scuba pro Mk25s or Mk2 reg set up.

Maintaining your scuba equipment is like...

... going to the dentist!! If you were a good girl, brushed your teeth and flossed, you get out with a quick cleaning and some nasty sugar-free candy. But if you haven't brushed your teeth since the last time you were in... well, root-canals are expensive too. :D

Back
Top Bottom