Make Good Money as a Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rstone,

I don't think anyone is saying instructors shouldn't be paid well, and of course instructors, like anyone else, want to make all they can. More power to them. As far as Captdave defending himself, he was the one who started flinging insults. It's just that those posts were deleted. Aren't you flinging insults as well. I thought you said if someone didn't have anything nice to say, they shouldn't say anything at all. Does your advice not apply to you, just to everyone else? Although, I would agree with you in that, criticizing spelling errors and things of that nature does seem nitpicky and irrelevant. Captdave has had a couple of really good and innovative ideas. I liked the video idea and especially the corporate approach. Those are things that many instructors may not have thought of. Really good ideas. Most of the rest are not new or innovative. They are things that any one with any common sense could come up with or things that others feel aren't necessarily sound business ideas, which is fine for this post. It's just not groundbreaking, and I'm not so sure they would earn you $100,000 a year. As for you slamming travel agents, it's great you can get a D2 or D3 seat on a plane. Perhaps you have a spouse or relative that works for an airline. Thats a great thing to have access to. I flew to Belize for $60 a seat, but not everybody has access to that kind of deal, so they use travel agents. In an earlier post Captdave mentioned arranging the resort and airfare for his students for around $3,000 or something like that. This, in effect, makes him a travel agent, and an expensive one at that. You slammed travel agents, so you were indirectly slamming Captdave too.

CaptDave

On more of a side note, could you explain why you have such a low opinion of dive masters that havent been trained under your wing??

I understand your a Master Instructor for PADI, surely that means you work under PADI standards along with a very proportion of other dive centres....so whats different about the way they learn with you? Surely you are obligated to teach DiveMasters they way they are set down by PADI so there shouldnt be that much difference between dive centres?

Fair enough that you train them for far longer than some - you do more of an appreticeship for them. But surely after they have done the standard PADI DM you could still employ them and build upon their knowledge further?

No i was not insulting anyone.. just stating a known fact. There is a difference. As for captdave.. i dont consider him a travel agent anymore then i consider myself to be when we i arrange for a class dive trip to the keys for our store. I think there is a difference. A travel agent is someone who does that as there primary business and profession in my opinion.

A travel agent is someone who arranges travel, accomodation etc for a person or group of people who pay for it (non-legal definition but there you go). Whether you regard yourself as a travel agent is immaterial. Be careful as you could leave yourself wide open to litigation!

Thanks Jay. I agree with you 100%.
But don't mind me, or anything I say, I'm only a " Notoriously Terrible" travel agent. And one that has been thrown over board on top of it!
:sunny:
PS. I love this thread. I wish no one would have to edit it anymore.

Oxford English Dictionary:
Travel: go from one place to another; journey along or through; travelling
Agent: a person who does something esp. on behalf of another; thing producing an effect

Combine : a person who organising another to go from one place to another.

Its not whether you think you work as or "like" a travel agent, its the customers. If I went away on holiday and it was organised by you, I would see you as my travel agent. The agent who assisted in my travelling!

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
Oxford English Dictionary:
Travel: go from one place to another; journey along or through; travelling
Agent: a person who does something esp. on behalf of another; thing producing an effect

Combine : a person who organising another to go from one place to another.

Its not whether you think you work as or "like" a travel agent, its the customers. If I went away on holiday and it was organised by you, I would see you as my travel agent. The agent who assisted in my travelling!

in·struc·tor (n-strktr)
n.
One who instructs; a teacher.

If i used a dictionary to state what a instructor is.. then anyone who decided to try to teach a friend to scuba would be considered a instructor... im sorry that doesnt hold water with me :rolleyes:

Jay,
You look good in that skin. And that mask is a turn on, babe. :wink:
Abby, you haven't been thrown over board yet, and I so wanted to dive with you someday. Maybe that last post will get you in here with us!
:sunny:

Also one other side note.. unless you have a IATA number.. your not a travel agent. Just as if you dont have a instructor card / number your not a instructor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom