Making the transition to SCR and have a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydrew

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey there, the following is a question that I am sure will have been posed by many new rebreather divers.

I am an experienced OC diver, first dive 20 years ago been full time pro instructor for the last 6 years and generally have lots of experience in a variety of conditions as well as tec trained. I now work in the Caribbean in a facility that has a range of rebreathers and am now getting the opportunity to start learning how to fly one. I am starting out on a Hollis Explorer and have so far done a pool session and a confined open water session. The main issue I am experiencing is with making the adjustment to buoyancy control without being able to rely on lung volume anymore. I have a really good instructor and have other really good instructors around me but I'd just like to ask the wider SB community if anyone has any tips and tricks as to how to help practice attaining good buoyancy on a rebreather. At present I am fine if moving slowly but as soon as I stop to do something e.g. at this stage perform a skill then I'll start to rise or fall.

Many thanks.

Dive it, dive it and dive it some moe.

I think just about EVERY experienced OC tech diver or buoyancy/trim master is quickly humbled for the first 10 hours or so on a rebreather.

I certainly was and still am during the shallower deco stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like he said, it will just take time and practice. Lots of both before you ever have it dialed in like OC.

To also offer a bit of unrelated/unsolicited advice... Don't focus on nailing buoyancy for your first few dives.

Focus on the workings and mechanics of the machine. Focus on the interface between the machine and yourself.

Less than perfect buoyancy is most likely not going to kill you on a rebreather. Not having a rock solid understanding of what the unit is doing and how it relates to you certainly can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes its hard to adjust. If you are trying to hover and need to make micro buoyancy adjustments you can exhale and vent your mask to sink (wasting a bit of dil) or an extra deep breath should trigger the ADV adding dil to increase CL volume slightly.

I'm still learning as well, but one little trick I picked up is to listen to your bc inflator. With mine anyway, a very light touch on on the button and you can hear the air trickling in. It made it a lot easier for me to make finer adjustments.

OK guys, thanks for the responses, patience is the key it seems. Thanks for the additional tip Pensacolaracer

I wouldn't worry about perfect buoyancy on the explorer initially. You will be pretty task loaded at first just confirming the litany of messages the unit makes you constantly confirm on a regular basis.

Daru

I have no experience with the Explorer, but I went from OC to a KISS GEM, and you can make "some" adjustments with your lungs. Not a lot, but some. OTOH, its a bad habit to get into, as I had to unlearn that when I switched to CCR.

As others have already noted, buoyancy will come with time, worry about the unit basics first.

Back
Top Bottom