Man rescued from submerged car sues dive team.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, once the car is flooded, equalizing the pressure. Not against a gradient, right (as in a car with an air bubble trapped inside. But I defer to your experience...

We have a car sunk in our training pond. I can open and close the doors with ease (slowly). I know they will open with at least the air from our exhaust trapped, I've never looked to see how much air was trapped, but don't think it'd be very significant. We're practicing hooking the car up in a couple of months, maybe I'll try blowing a tank and filling the cabin roof with air and see if I can still open the door.

Ha busted !!! We see the method to your madness , your just always prepared to covertly salvage free golf balls from the water traps.

If I wanted a full sized vehicle here on the island, I'd have to wait another 15-20 years since I've never put my name on the list. We can have a single golf cart right away... and that's all I need to transport my dive gear to the park or the dive boat.

As for this character, maybe he should return to his native country if he doesn't like it here.

As for this character, maybe he should return to his native country if he doesn't like it here.

Bill, what makes you think that he doesn't like it here? That's a strange assumption...I suspect just the opposite.

Bill, what makes you think that he doesn't like it here? That's a strange assumption...I suspect just the opposite.

Perhaps he does... but I'm guessing for the wrong reasons (and I'm a flaming liberal)

We have a car sunk in our training pond. I can open and close the doors with ease (slowly). I know they will open with at least the air from our exhaust trapped, I've never looked to see how much air was trapped, but don't think it'd be very significant. We're practicing hooking the car up in a couple of months, maybe I'll try blowing a tank and filling the cabin roof with air and see if I can still open the door.

Filling the car after the fact is not the same, as it increases the inside pressure making it easier to open the doors. The problem with opening the doors as it sinks is the pressure difference between the pressure of water on the outside and inside until they equalize.

If the car is sealed it has 1ATM trapped inside, at 6' depth there is an approx 3 psi increase in pressure on the outside of the vehicle. Say the door is 3'X3' or 1296 square inches, that would be 3888# of force keeping the door shut, this will decease until the inside pressure increases to ambient. The air bubble will decrease in size as pressure equalizes and stay inside until it finds a way out.

He should have been in an old VW bug as they float.

Bob
--------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

Filling the car after the fact is not the same, as it increases the inside pressure making it easier to open the doors. The problem with opening the doors as it sinks is the pressure difference between the pressure of water on the outside and inside until they equalize.

If the car is sealed it has 1ATM trapped inside, at 6' depth there is an approx 3 psi increase in pressure on the outside of the vehicle. Say the door is 3'X3' or 1296 square inches, that would be 3888# of force keeping the door shut, this will decease until the inside pressure increases to ambient. The air bubble will decrease in size as pressure equalizes and stay inside until it finds a way out.

He should have been in an old VW bug as they float.

Bob
--------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

I'm thinking that when I blow the tank, I keep the door open until I feel bubbles, then shut the door and see if I can re-open it.

Back
Top Bottom