Mandatory tracking device for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that you are going to get any experienced diver supporting anything "mandatory" in diving, but we might want to think about how people outside of diving might see this.

I lost two good friends over the past month (Lynne and Tom). Neither of them were ever found, but both of their accidents triggered a massive air and sea search by the Coast Guard, over several days. That was paid for by the taxpayers, and wasn't cheap. To me, that's fine, that's one of the reasons that we pay taxes, but we shouldn't pretend that everyone shares our priorities.

So maybe not for a swim over a Caribbean reef in 30 feet of water, but I can certainly see someone in authority who is not a diver pushing for a transponder like that on bigger dives.

I see your point. But it may be a slippery slope. The diver of his own free will decides not to take a device that would locate his body and it costs tax dollars. An analogy may be smokers/drinkers/drug addicts/red meat lovers in a country with "socialized" medicine. Do they deserve tax dollars for "free" medical? Motorcyclists, hang gliders, etc.....?

Can't imagine a situation where I'd dive from a boat without a radio.

I can't imagine being on a boat without a radio. Hell, I have a main VHF, a floating VHF, a Lifeline and an EPIRB (not to mention life raft and other non-communicative safety gear) when I go out, but none of that is required...but forget your whistle (or other sound producing device) and you're getting a ticket.

I see your point. But it may be a slippery slope. The diver of his own free will decides not to take a device that would locate his body and it costs tax dollars. An analogy may be smokers/drinkers/drug addicts/red meat lovers in a country with "socialized" medicine. Do they deserve tax dollars for "free" medical? Motorcyclists, hang gliders, etc.....?
Slippery slope aside, according to news report Lynne was wearing "a locator beacon and a radio". Given what I hear from and about her I'd think both were chosen well and tested working.

View attachment 215895

If you want a test - I can do one - but it has been a long time since I wore this horsecollar. I did buy new co2 cartridges - the old ones I inflated but on land.

I have inflated those while diving ( over 40 years ago). At depths of 25_30ft with 16 gram cartridges not enough inflation to compensate for wetsuit compression. 32 gram cartridges not much better.

Have you ever pulled the cord on a co2 inflator on the old BC's at depth (greater than 25ft or so)?

And that's is why they aren't made anymore because they only worked well on the surface. Inflated at 25fsw the vest had a small bubble behind ones head. I dove with one for about 10 years when I started diving.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

Firstly, it is tragic to hear the loss of a diver. What is equally distressing is the idea that they may never be recovered. I was wondering if it is possible to have a time/pressure released signalling device that divers should be made to carry. In case of a lost diver who does not surface, the device should trigger itself, shoot up the the surface and signal the location. Does such a gizmo make sense? Has something of the kind ever been developed?

And just who do you think is going to make me wear this device? I don't even wear a seat belt, I hook it on my seat so it looks like I have it on. Mandatory? I doubt it.

How would this work for shore dives?

That's me 99% of my diving is shore diving and half of those are solo. So who's going to make me wear this again?

...//...
I lost two good friends over the past month (Lynne and Tom). Neither of them were ever found, but both of their accidents triggered a massive air and sea search by the Coast Guard, over several days. That was paid for by the taxpayers, and wasn't cheap. To me, that's fine, that's one of the reasons that we pay taxes, but we shouldn't pretend that everyone shares our priorities.

So maybe not for a swim over a Caribbean reef in 30 feet of water, but I can certainly see someone in authority who is not a diver pushing for a transponder like that on bigger dives.
And this was the thought that made me edit my post from "no" I would not carry one to "unlikely." But thinking more about it, the searches I am aware of I believe are primarily rescue efforts not recovery. And though it didn't work for Lynne, the Nautilus style radio is already available for that.

Can't imagine a situation where I'd dive from a boat without a radio.

Where I dive in UAE nobody carries a radio as far as I know (with one exception), mobile phones still work from most dive sites on the east coast, but not off Dubai.

I don't recall any radios on boats when I have dived in Malaysia, Philippines or Indonesia.

Every diver gets his own spool of 550 ParaCord. You tie it around your big toe and go diving, split fins notwithstanding.

Haul 'em back aboard, Boats, the 30 minutes is up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom