Manila hotel for one nighter before transfer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am plus 1 for City State. Descent rooms and a reasonable price. It's near a couple bars and restaurants. The door staff and the security guards is the real reason that I keep going back. They are always good with helping me get a metered taxi, etc. One tip is: I always ask them how much they would pay for a taxi, if I am going to a new place. It can help to keep the taxi drivers honest.

Hi Woodman,

I suggest that you use Agoda.com for "searching" and "booking" a hotel in Manila (or other places). From Agoda, you can find the 1) Price 2)Reviews 3) Pictures and 4) distance of hotel to the airport.

Before booking, contact the hotel and arrange your airport pick-up.

I hope this helps.

Rails
We are going to visit Puerto Galera in March, but the airline schedules all seem to be coming in very late to Manila. We will need an overnighter in Manila before transferring on in the morning, (and for one night on the back end of the trip also) and have no idea where to stay in Manila for this. Anybody have any recommendations? All we need is a decent basic hotel (preferably with breakfast included) as we are just passing through. Also, what are cabs like for the airport transfer? The hotels all seem to want about $20 for a one way shuttle, and that seems high, but I really don't know. Any advice? Thanks for your help.

I suggest that you use Agoda.com for "searching" and "booking" a hotel in Manila (or other places).

Having checked Agoda for hotels in several Philippines locations that I know intimately, I am shocked by how over-rated and mis-ranked the hotels were. Also, how many good (often the best) hotels were missing from it's listings.

What a condescending attitude!
My top tip for accommodation is Howzat Inn, in Makati nr Burgos/Rockwell. 20 minutes from the Airport. It's linked to a great restaurant and sports bar, that's very popular with local Manila expats. Rooms are very clean and have microwave, kettle (rare to get that here), cable TV, air-con, mini-safe, good wifi, and room service from the resto downstairs etc etc.. The deluxe room is only 1350php per night...
I've stayed there a couple of times and it's a nice place. Just be aware that the taxi drivers at the airport will complain about how far away it is. Last time I was in Manila, the driver and his boss refused to take me by meter because it was too far. I had to get a regular cab to take me.

Just be aware that the taxi drivers at the airport will complain about how far away it is. Last time I was in Manila, the driver and his boss refused to take me by meter because it was too far. I had to get a regular cab to take me.

It's more fun in the Philippines...

Having checked Agoda for hotels in several Philippines locations that I know intimately, I am shocked by how over-rated and mis-ranked the hotels were. Also, how many good (often the best) hotels were missing from it's listings.

This is pretty much what I have come to expect. Rating services like Trip Advisor and such often seem to have 'arrangements' with certain places to get them top ratings, and that is why I am asking you guys for the real story on this matter. I am intrigued with your suggestion on the Howzat Inn, and can I get coupon taxis to go there without fuss? Remember, we are doing this at midnight on the way in. Lots of fun, as you say.

Woodman, We are from Woodbury and will be going to Puerto Galera also in March. Will be on the Delta flight getting in Friday night on the 7th, will be staying at the Marriott at the airport and then heading over on the ferry on Saturday. Head back to Manila on the following sunday, staying overnight again and hopping on the plane Monday am. Maybe we will see you on the plane.

Woodman, We are from Woodbury and will be going to Puerto Galera also in March. Will be on the Delta flight getting in Friday night on the 7th, will be staying at the Marriott at the airport and then heading over on the ferry on Saturday. Head back to Manila on the following sunday, staying overnight again and hopping on the plane Monday am. Maybe we will see you on the plane.

Unfortunately we leave MSP on 3/17/14 and get into Manila on 3/18/14, with transfer to Sabang on 3/19/14. Close, but no cigar. I would be highly interested in your impressions of how things went, however, and you can PM me with any information you want to share. I will probably be writing one of my exhaustive trip reports afterwards, but any advance info is highly appreciated. Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom