Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
First post....

I am getting SO MUCH good info off this board - thanks everyone :) .

Specific question: Having rented for way too long (mainly Cozumel) we are finally getting our own gear. Looks like (so far):

Halcyon Pioneer 27
Mares M1

The reg is a problem. I would like to get the lot at our LDS (Mares / Halcyon) but they do not get a lot of 'air time' here.

Any comments on the Mares Proton XL? Is it good or should I split up my purchasing and ger an Apeks?

Thanks again

Graham

Hi Grajan

finally buying your own kit :) Pioneer ? Very good choice i think!

Apeks is DEFENITLY the way to go! either buy Zeagle or better Apeks! Beuchat is also good (VX10) but Apeks is still far better.

But stay away from Mares! Search for earlier posts. There are more then one reasons why you should nt buy Mares. The best choice at this moment still is Apeks ATX200! These babes are the best!

Apeks Rules!:)

have fun, xerxes

Gee the first reply you get, and it sounds like a sales pitch for Apex? One that Apex would not be proud to here of!

Apex makes good regs, you will not be disapointed. HOWEVER, Mares regs are highly rated and reguarded world wide, and any suggestion to the effect that they are sub standard is just plain garbage!

The Mares Abyss is one of the finest regs produced in the world. The Proton XL is a newer reg, and has stood up to some very tough tests!

Bottom line,,,buy the one you can afford, and the one you liked best during your test dives, but do not listen to the negative rhetoric.

pt40,

The Mares is only highly regarded in biased and highly opinionated rec-only reviews like Rodale's. No serious diver would ever recommend any of the overpriced, underfunctional Mares regs.

xerxes is actually quite correct. Apeks (not Apex, btw -- you're showing your ignorance) are the absolute best regs for the money. I'd venture that the majority of technical and cave divers will agree. This means something.

pt40, go do some independent research for us. Determine the work of breathing of various Apeks regs versus the Mares regs. Determine the MTBF for both brands. Determine how much more difficult and expensive Mares regs are to service. Determine how different the Mares regs breath at different positions, and at different depths.

I can only recommend two brands, out of my own personal experience with many, many regs: ScubaPro and Apeks. Of the two, ScubaPro tends to be significantly more expensive, while both mfgs make regs which are similar performers. I currently dive ScubaPro regs, but several of my buddies have allowed me to borrow their Apeks regs -- and they're literally as good or better, and much cheaper.

- Warren

both here and elsewhere in the forum the tilt appears to be towards the Apeks but what is pushing me over the edge (so to speak) is the Nitrox isssue.

Apeks is ambivilant. The website says up to 40% is OK. The Mares Proton XL basically says you will die if you use it with Nitrox.

Oh well - that makes it easy.

Graham

I know this board is obsessed with Apeks and Scubapro, and honestly I've never dove either brand, so I won't cut them down........but I have a number of regs, most of them Mares......plus a Poseidon Odin.....and I've been very impressed with Mares regulators!

I have a Mares 'Ruby' and several MR12 and MR16 Voltrex regs.....and they are GREAT regulators.....and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

If you don't believe me...check out Rodale's or the respected British dive mag 'divernet.com' ......both have tested various Mares regs numerous times, and the Mares regs are always either the best or tied with other regs as equal to the best......for example:

Divernet reg test March 2002:

MARES V16 EPOS beats SCUBAPRO MK25 R380

Nothing against Scubapro/Apeks........but the apparent bias against Mares is unjustified on a measurable/objective/scientific basis.

Karl

Graham,
I've dove with Mares regs for years and never had a single problem. They are reliable and breath well. If you are going the Nitrox route, just stay away from Ti seats. Ti and Oxygen make heat, you know what the potential could be there. I recently upgraded my Mares regs and went with the Zeagle flathead. Check out http://www.zeagle.com for some info on Zeagles line of regs. Apeks used to make regs for Zeagle, then US Diver/Aqualung bought Apeks. Zeagle then started manafacturing their own regs and improved on the Apeks design. BTW the Apeks is a excellent reg, I liked the Zeagle better, it just breathes easier to me. Take your time, dive with several type regs before you buy and buy what works best for you. Dive Safely. :tree: Bob.

Go the Scubapro and Apeks regs - you'll never be sorry!

I own a Mares Axis Octo, and its OK....but honestly, I wouldn't put it in the same league as the Scubapro or Apeks. You wouldn't catch me diving the Doria with a Mares...I believe that Mares is a ski manufacturer and scuba gear is just an offshoot of this line.

Go the route what these guys on the board recommends...these guys have done tech diving and are in 'the know.' They have many years of cumiliated experience and knowledge between them all!

PS Honestly, do you think a publication that receives money from diving gear manufacturers to print their ads is REALLY going to say anyhting negative about a firms regualtors in their 'tests?' Sadly, its all about money and advertising...not about whats REALLY quality gear or second-rate gear.

Do yourself a favor, go the Apeks or Scubapro route. You won't be sorry.

PS I'd even consider the Aqua Lung Titan LX or Legend a much better choice if money is REALLY a factor right now....Apeks and Aqua Lung is pretty close, from what I have been hearing....

I have an Aqua Lung Titan XLC reg and I think its pretty darn nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom