Marking Jumps and T's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you're not a moderator of the CDF, and it's not your forum. If you don't like that particular forum, or the way it is run and moderated, then you do not need to participate in it.

In my opinion, sitting here complaining about the [-]lack of[/-] moderation on another internet forum does no good and just makes you look like a grump. It's definitely not "professional," and I'm not sure how it is meant to be constructive.

I was responding to the previous post with an explanation. I thought I was being helpful. I was not complaining. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

My sense of a comparison is that a lot of the moderation in other forums is more invisible than it is here. This is certainly not universally true, but when we moderate a thread in anything more than a minor way, we will usually leave a moderator note saying what we have done. I have rarely seen anything like that in other forums. One thing we don't announce is when we take punitive actions against individuals. When we have someone who we feel is too frequently violating rules, disrupting threads, etc., we may well ban that person, either for a set period of time or forever, from specific subforums or from ScubaBoard altogether. I recently saw a post in which someone wondered why a certain individual had not yet participated. I wanted to chime in with a "don't hold your breath" post, but that is not the sort of thing we do.

I also have a sense that some forums are quick to take sides in disputes, something we try to avoid. For example, when there was that episode with NACD a while ago, most forums dismantled the NACD site to show their support of one side of the dispute. We chose to remain neutral by taking no action.

If I had been a moderator on CDF, I would have taken out the off topic stuff mentioned in my last post to keep the thread on topic.

I'm not so sure, I recall being banned from SB for offering a fair and honest opinion about a moderator kacking themselves.

I'm not so sure, I recall being banned from SB for offering a fair and honest opinion about a moderator kacking themselves.

..and the beauty of your situation is that you can provide your version of the story and the moderators can't give theirs.

..and the beauty of your situation is that you can provide your version of the story and the moderators can't give theirs.

I have thick skin, I don't mind when someone shares a different opinion than the one I believe. If I've made a mistake, I have no problem owning up to it. My bans to date have in my opinion been because of the truth hurting (and maybe being a little to blunt). I haven't gone back an deleted my posts in those threads though ("The mods" have taken car of that).

:)

Wow, BoulderJohn talks about about other threads going off-topic, and BOOM! This one raced off-topic! :thumb:

So, pardon me - back to the topic . . .

I understand that you do not put in your own arrow, unless you are tying off YOUR jump line on your arrow.

So, I am now to understand that, especially in Mexico where there are more karsts that you can shake a stick at -- you do NOT use an arrow, because your exit may not be the closest exit? You use a cookie instead, so others are not confused?

Why is that not used *all* the time then? No arrows except for those permanently installed?

I play Clash of Clans!

I was responding to the previous post with an explanation. I thought I was being helpful. I was not complaining.

Some threads derail in slow motion. For those of us who keep reading post by post, it's not always too obvious how far exactly the thread has become off topic.
In retrospect, I would agree with your assessment of the Death at Ginnie thread on the CDF. That discussion about having too much gas, or not, sort of tainted the whole thread.
Looking at it now, it might have been clever to move all these posts into a different thread.
Having said that, I don't feel it's the moderators job to clean up every single thread and make it nice to read and look at.
Besides, running out of gas is sort of on topic in that thread and the context of the accident.
It's not really that easy after all, I guess...

Jax, that's pretty much what I was taught. If the jump is marked with one arrow, you tie in between the arrow and your cookie. If it's an unmarked jump, you tie in someplace where your line will be stable and cookie the exit side. We ONLY used arrows for lost diver/lost line drills.

Wow, BoulderJohn talks about about other threads going off-topic, and BOOM! This one raced off-topic! :thumb:

So, pardon me - back to the topic . . .

I understand that you do not put in your own arrow, unless you are tying off YOUR jump line on your arrow.

So, I am now to understand that, especially in Mexico where there are more karsts that you can shake a stick at -- you do NOT use an arrow, because your exit may not be the closest exit? You use a cookie instead, so others are not confused?

Why is that not used *all* the time then? No arrows except for those permanently installed?

I use arrows for lost buddy.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2015 at 07:25 AM ----------

I was responding to the previous post with an explanation. I thought I was being helpful. I was not complaining. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Thanks for being concerned about my feathers, but it's all good, I'm a big boy and don't take any of this stuff seriously. I just find it ironic that a moderator was derailing a thread to complain about a thread on another forum getting derailed.

But this thread has been full of surprises, I'm still shocked about the moderator with admittedly less than 100 cave dives that took his toys and went home when a bunch of guys who all have at least 100 cave dives suggested he was marking jumps in a possibly dangerous manner.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom