Marking my new tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Sharpie and write my name around the crown above the stampings so that no matter how the tank is put in a rack it's always visable. After a year or two the lettering fades a little and can easily be touched-up. Black shows-up great on steel.

I put those black sticky letters and numbers on..they are great for identification, they are 3 inches wide, water resistant and even look nice. They haven't worn off after 2 years and even if they were to wear out after a while, they come off clean and to replace it would be 65 cents.

If you're worrying about theft, large letters on the side logically seems better then a pen marking near the stem (unless its a huge pen marking which I think it uglies your new tank up). I have also seen these pen looking things at the hardware store that run about $25 that will engrave metal easily (just dont push too hard ofcourse-I wouldn't go anywhere even nearly as deep as hydro stamps) But lets face it-people get away with robbing banks and stealing cars, if someone wants to steal your scuba tank that badly...they are gonna steal your tank, pen, letters, stamped on name...doesn't really matter. Other then that, take down the tank number and put it in a safe place so you can fill out a police report, but I'd prob just start saving for a new tank at that point--haha you may even be able to buy your old tank back on ebay!

I write my initials with a sharpie plus I found coloured automotive stickers which adheare well to metal and are water resistant. I cut out small squares and stick them on. Easier to find from a distance, especially on a full charter boat.

I decided that I would just use a little alcohol and clean up the spot that I wanted to mark and then use a wide Sharpie or paint pen and write my name on the top and bottom of the tanks. That should be plenty sufficient for the purpose of being able to identify my tanks from someone elses at the dive shop or on the docks, boat etc... I'm not really that concerned about theft. If someone wants to steal them then it's not really gonna matter what kind of markings I have on them. I realy don't want to do any metal engraving or stamping on them for a couple of reasons. First, I want it to be semi permanant in case I ever decide to sell them, which i really don't forsee happening any time soon, and secondly, I can't imagine that engraving or stamping can be good for the tank. I would think that would just damage the galvanized finish and defeat the purpose of the galvanized coating and I certainly don't want to do that to a brand new tank. I do appeciate the suggestions from everyone. Thanks again.

Georgia bubble blower

That sounds like a plan.

To me the biggest reason to mark them prominently is not for theft but to avoid inadverdent confusion. Shops can get hectic and if somebody loads and goes with one of mine it could really mess up an outing.

I agree you don't want to be breaking the finish though it will happen at hydro time.

Pete

Iruka:
One other more "permanent" suggestion to add to the others....we just use aluminum tanks here, so I don't know if there'd be any difference with steel....you could put your initials or whatever on the tank with one of those metal stamps...a die set, I think it's called? That's what I have on my tanks, along with painting...if your paint job is similar to someone else's (if you paint them at all) having your initials on the tank would eliminate uncertainty....and since the hydro info & serial numbers, etc are already stamped on the tank, it wouldn't cause any harm to the tank.

I've put my initials on my alum tanks like that, a buddy I know tried to do that with his steels, the metal is alot harder to stamp, All he did was make a mess of it - It looked like he double imprinted it, You'd be better off painting them.

Georgia bubble blower:
Hydro actually damages the tanks finish? How?

By beating the new date and tester ID into the cylinder with a steel die. If you're lucky the hot dipped galvanized finish will largely conform. I have seen plenty of epoxy / paint looked chipped after redating. Nothing you can do about it, that's just the way it is.

Pete

I went to a graphics shop and had my last name printed on vinyl adhesive letters and put them down the side of the tank. They're big, bold, black capitals. The only reason I wanted them marked like that is to avoid confusion when I drop them off at the shop for a fill ... I put a cylinder protecter over too.
You could also stencil and spray paint..

S.

Wow, i had no idea that the new hydro date and all had to be stamped into the tank. Heck, I just thought that they slapped a sticker on there just like they did for the Vis. Seems like that would be much easier. Well, these are my first set of tanks so I guess i'll learn as i go.Thanks.

Initially, I did consider stenciling my name down the side and spraying it on with a little paint. That would probably look pretty good actually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom