Married but single Diver what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob,

I started diving back in the early 80's doing search and rescovery for the local police department that I worked for. This was zero vis diving and there was no place except a pool for my new bride to have a good time diving so she didn't and said she was not interested.

Now 25 years later and still married to the same bride we have made 13 trips to Cozumel, two to the Cayman Islands and Jamicia as well as numerous trips to Florida. She now has several certifications and is an excellent diver.

On several trips instead of diving she has gone on the dive boat with me, used the sun decks, practiced her spanish and snorkeled. I took a lot of underwater pictures and got her interested in what was below.

The point: Show her what's there but DO NOT try and teach her yourself. This will be a big mistake. If she's doesn't do it there are plenty of resorts in Cozumel that have beaches and lots of places to shop and site see.

Travel to Coz is cheap and lots of air/hotel packages on places like Expedia, etc.
Hotel Cozumel has the biggest pool on the island and lots of activities. My sister in law and brother in law go a couple of times a year and they don't dive.

Drop me a note if you want want details.

Jim
Louisiana

I was not interested too until last year we traveled to Tulamben Bali where the world easiest wreckship dive can be found. 5 m from the shore just 1 - 2 m depht by snorkeling I saw the most beautiful and colorfull creatures.
So, go to Bali - if she is still not interested there will be so many thing will make her happy - if this not the case then move to Nusadua or Benoa, you still can enjoy the under water although not as good Tulamben but she may get what she want including the best spa and other hedonism lifestyle.

Well, you could have children -- then talk one of them into scuba diving. That's how my husband finally got me interested. Or if you don't want to wait 20 years :wink:

1) Snorkeling. Make sure she has a "real" snorkeling setup (high quality mask, dry snorkel, fins, boots.) Find some pools where she and you can practice with the gear. Let her see you doing the "clear the snorkel/flood and clear the mask" thing. See if she'll practice, too.

2) Other non-divers. Check the local dive club scene. See if any other couples can buddy up with you on some above-water/underwater local trips. Remember, even low-viz diving counts in improving your skills.

3) Discover Scuba. Some of our dive shops use the local community college for an intro course to the mechanics of diving. The aquatic center has an Olympic-size pool and an 18-foot dive well which provides a less threatening environment.
Under no circumstances offer to share your regulator with a non-certified diver! Yep, she could wind up in the hospital. No, it's not worth it. Leave scuba instruction to scuba instructors.

4) OW classes. It's all about the instructor. Even if she drops out, it will increase her water skills tremendously.

And even if she gets her c-card it does not mean she has to dive the Andrea Doria. I like the fish and the crawdads, which means 40-foot max depth and usually less (more time, more colors.) My daughters are also cool with this. When my husband wants to spearfish, he goes with someone else.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom