married couples where one dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even in the shower when water gets in her face she brushes it out of the way almost violently. Many years ago I'd laugh at this reaction till I realized how serious it was. Since then we've had numerous discussions about this. I asked her to pinpoint her specific fear she just says water makes her uncomfortable and she gets an extreme case of anxiety and panic when it covers her mouth, eyes, or nose.

Despite all of this (and a whole bunch of calm encouraging discussions) she has decided to to take a few baby steps and snorkel in the virgin islands this year when we're there.

Hi LadyCute1

My spouse is eksactly the same about flying. He once took a BOW in the Red Sea but was not interested :confused: . He just made it as flight instructure so I guess I better start on the dive instructure course to keep up!

And yes I also enjoy flying:)

My wife, who I had met just the day before, invited me to take the OW class with her. I just thought it would be a good way to spend more time with her! 3 years later we are married and still dive as often as possible.

I am a solo diver in this marriage. My husband was not interested in taking the diving classes when I did. He could not have stopped me nor did I have to acquire his permission. He taught me to snorkle when we were dating before we married. 20+ years later we still enjoyed snorkling when we travel. I had the opportunity to go to Hawaii with family, they planned to scuba dive, so I took my OW classes. I have been diving one and a half years now, without my husband. He claims he just does not want to dive, but for me to if that is what I want to do. We went on our vacation last year to Playa del Carmen, we snorkled, swam and went on excursions together, but he also inisisted that I go diving some too. While I went diving he read, walked and went to an aviary to birdwatch. We both had an enjoyable vacation.

My husband is an avid hunter and loves to be in the woods. I am ok with the woods, camping and all but I am not in the least interested in hunting. He has his hobby and I have mine.

I do wish he did dive, I love watching married dive buddies. The ones I know are so romantic with each other and are so caring for one another it makes me sad that my husband is not interested.

My Wife (as of a week and a half ago) was my buddy on a weeks diving in the Red Sea. She is a Great buddy.

She has too much sense to dive here in Ireland, so I have to find others who will brave the liquid silt that we use for water.

We should get in some dives in New Zealand in November (honey moon)

I've been diving for 4 years, she got certified last year. We did her first post BOW dive together and..... everything was Great!

The next weekend of diving was where we had a "situation" under water. It's hard to adapt to at first, you forget how automatic all the task you had as a BOW diver have become after further training and lots of dives to get comfortable and handle routine tasks.

My dive buddy and I now going to "swap" :eek: partners (buddy's wife got certified at same time as mine) for a while until comfort goes up and task loading goes down on more "stressful" dives.

My fiancee has just completed her BOW in preparation for our wedding/honeymoon down in Belize. I went through the course with her and she did absolutely GREAT!!! Very aware, almost perfect buoyancy control, made me jealous!

Hoping that she enjoys the sport enough to want to be my best buddy up here in the cold, murky waters of Massachusetts :)

Matt

I'd love to but it will NEVER EVER happen. After years of trying, I can now get her to snorkle as long as she has a boyancy device of some kind e.g. life preserver and I don't let go of her hand.
It's too bad, she'd cost me very little in the way of air. She's so fit, I think she'd last a week on a single tank. But try as I have, it'll never happen!

I really wish my lovely better half would get interested in diving, but it will never happen. She swims just fine, but dislikes water deep enough to cover her head. She claims she doesn't like to get her hair wet.

When we took our cruise earlier this year that started me on my quest to learn how to dive, I couldn't even convince her to come snorkeling. So at this stage my oldest daughter is the only other diver in the family. And though still a little hesitant at this point, her younger sister is starting to warm up to the idea as well.

I figure though if I can my youngest certified, then dive vacations will be a much easier sell. :)

Marc :jester:

I think diving would be great for my wife, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it will ever happen. She's not confident of her skills in the water (from a swimming perspective), although I think she'd do fine.

Also, she's very reluctant to put both of us in any situation that the sees as potentially life-threatening, as we have four kids. I can see her point there, but it's not like I was planning to make her dive the Doria...

Back
Top Bottom