Mask Air Volume Reducer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Way back when I used to see air volume reducers available that just dropped into the mask to make equalizing the mask easier. Anyone know if someone still makes such a thing? It was probably Aqua-Craft that used to have them. My search results turned up empty :(

I'm stumped.

This article mentioning it in 2004 is all I could find:
ImpulseAdventure - Freediving Mask Volume

Another article mentions one was made by US Divers too:

Time Capsules

Here's a mention of it:
http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/3538/odd-masks?page=1

Volume Reducer_zps1cnmkmbs.png

Perhaps having so many low cost low volume masks on the market has pushed this product into obscurity.

Hopefully someone else has a lead.
Cameron

Last edited:
I think the advent of frameless mask manufacturing drove a nail into that coffin. It was harder to make low volume masks with frames to compress the seal to the glass. There was one or two in the late 1950s -- most notably the the Cressi Pinocchio. I could be wrong but I seem to remember the frames were stainless in the early days instead of injection molded like this. That stainless wire was necessary to make the frame seal in the nose pocket area.
upload_2018-2-15_9-12-41.png

Last edited:
I'm stumped.

This article mentioning it in 2004 is all I could find:
ImpulseAdventure - Freediving Mask Volume

Another article mentions one was made by US Divers too:

Time Capsules

Here's a mention of it:
http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/3538/odd-masks?page=1

View attachment 446498

Perhaps having so many low cost low volume masks on the market has pushed this product into obscurity.

Hopefully someone else has a lead.
Cameron

That's exactly what I had in mind :)

I think the advent of frameless mask manufacturing drove a nail into that coffin. It was harder to make low volume masks with frames to compress the seal to the glass. There one or two in the late 1950s -- most notably the the Cressi Pinocchio. I could be wrong but I seem to remember the frames were stainless in the early days instead of injection molded like this. That stainless wire was necessary to make the frame seal in the nose pocket area.

I went down to about 85' with one of those (that was a few decades back) and emptied my lungs into the mask and it was still sucking my eyeballs out. Very shortly afterwards I bought the Occhio which is much smaller air volume but I'd still rather keep as much of my lung air as possible :wink: And yes, I remember it having a stainless frame. I liked it for Scuba because of the molded nose piece.

I'll keep my eyes peeled on eBay etc for an old one but it may not fit. It might be time to get out the Bondo and move this subject to DIY :wink:

A volume reducer is almost a necessity in free diving/California spear fishing... I question the value In SCUBA

The great free diver/spear fisherman Terry Maas who is a DDS orthodontist made volume reduces from some sort of a dental product. He is retired in Ventura and is very approachable

Might want to contact Terry

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom