Mask and Fins for a large guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
First time posting so apologies if this is in the wrong spot.

I am looking for a mask and possible fins. I am not into serious diving, my health doesn't approve of it, so basically for having my fun when at the oceanside, and or lakeside, and or in the pool even.

I need a mask, and all the shops around us (no dive shops that I can find but then again I live in the desert so I didn't expect any to be around), have the usual assortment of "stuff", but none of them seem to carry any masks for larger guys.

I also have a moustache which apparently matters as the cheapy type of masks seem to simply let in the water, which gets a bit annoying for me. So I'm looking for suggestions on masks and sites that sell them. My price range is between $30 and $90 for a mask. It should be a mask that obviously covers my eyes but also my nose since I have a tendancy to try to suck water in through my nose when under water.

As far as fins, I might be looking for a set of fins as well. I did stumble upon some Wenoka Sea Style Reeflex fins in my size at the local thrift store a few weeks ago for only $5.00 (is $5.00 a decent price for used Wenoka Reeflex fins, or is the technology of this fin so old that I should just chuck them in the trash?) so I picked them up figuring they're better than what I currently have and only $5.00. However I've not found any real information on them on the web. Do they still make these by chance? Is there such a thing as mens fins and womens fins? And if so, are these womens fins? I wouldn't know if there is a difference but I fugured to ask and that if there is a difference then there must be a reason for it.

They seem comfortable enough in the pool and seem to propel me along like a dolphin, I mean seriously, a couple kicks and Im at the other end of the pool, so hopefully they are at least usable in real world ocean and or lake use, any opinions on these? Are they really old technology and I might be better up buying newer fins with newer technology? I really know nothing about diving equipment and fins themselves so...

Plus it's a bit difficult to really test out the fins in the pool here at home since like mentioned it only takes a few kicks to be at the other end of the pool, and I've not yet had a decent mask so that I can go back in the ocean and or lake to try them out. My old mask lets in water in a terrible fashion to the point where I wont use it, it's always been like that and I've just put up with it, now Im fed up with it.

What should I be looking for in a mask? Is there a certain material that they should be made of that I should be looking for maybe?

Last but certainly not least, I will need a "real" snorkle that can go with that mask. I don't know if these things (mask and snorkle) are supposed to be matched or I can mix and match. So I'll need some basic info on snorkles with that regard.

Thanks for the assistance.

Edit: Oh and stupid question for ya, but on the Wenoka fins, is there a left and a right? They look the same to me, and my old fins I believe were left and right, determined by the longest part of the fin being where the big toe is on the foot. It doesn't look like these two are different but I just might be too inexperienced to notice it and I don't see anything on the bottom of them to indicate it.

I would say if the fins are not hurting your feet and fit well they would be fine. This comes from a dive boat captain that I may have 12 differnt pairs of fins and mofin but again I have two sons with big feet also, They all work very well, some are 20 plus years old. Some will work differnt parts of the legs so they some are stiffer and make you go faster. but will wear you out on a long day. For mask and I belived I have owned them all try to get a Sea Vision, you can get them with color corecting lens, clear or prescrition. The sides are very soft and will form to everones face. I use a red color correcting lens made by Sea Vision and this makes shallow water dive much more colorfull. You are down there to look make your looking count with the best mask go Sea Vision.
With a snorkle make sure you use one with a large diamature so more air can go through it. sorry about the spelling.

After looking at your post again I forgot the most importance thing go to dive shop or scuba instructor and take lessons. All instructor and shop may have diffrent gear brands but they may also have differnt regional suggestion for fins, or snorkels such as short, calm, swim in your area or long rough water swims. Mask I will always go Sea Vision for the clearty of the lens. Still kan not spell.
Captain Steve
Padi instructor
28 years of scuba diving

Sounds like you got a great deal on some decent fins that work well for you, just use them and enjoy. Sure there are always lots of new fins, but the new "technology", well sometimes it's useful and sometimes it's just a way to sell fins. Lots of people, myself included, swear by various old models of fins. There really aren't men's and woman's fins (maybe with the exception of hot pink), just fins that fit you and fins that don't. If they don't look like they have a left and right, they don't - and most don't.

There's some masks with softer skirts that may tend fit more people (these tend to be on the more expensive side.) Certain masks may fit certain face shapes better (doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being a big guy.) Some people do buy cheap masks that happen to fit just great. There's no such thing as a mask that fits everyone. And a mustache will make it harder to keep a mask from leaking. (If you search here for "mask mustache" you're bound to find some tips on this. There's also been many discussions here on how to fit a mask properly. Basically do it with the snorkel in your mouth because that changes the shape of your face. Then stick it on your face without using the strap and inhale very gently, it should stay there.)

Ordering a mask on the net is problematic. it's really hard to buy a mask without trying it on and get something that fits. You can get a mask with a purge valve, which makes it easy to blow out any water that gets in. I wouldn't normally suggest them for diving as they have some drawbacks, but in your situation (mustache, only plan to snorkel, no place to try masks on) it might be a good option.

People have religious arguments over snorkels. But I think everyone will agree they don't have to match anything. For snorkeling, I suggest something with a splash guard on top and purge valve on the bottom, without a flexible section. You will also see "dry" snorkels, which are not so good for diving but some people do like them for just snorkeling. (Personally, I'd stay away from dry snorkels period, just too heavy/expensive/complicated for a snorkel.) At the other extreme some people will suggest the simplest possible snorkel, just a j-tube with no added features, but I think the splash guard and purge really are nice for the average person snorkeling, and lots of snorkels have those without being too expensive.

You have received some excellent advice. Personally, I snorkel with old-fashioned full-foot rubber fins, the kind now commonly used by competitive swimmers in training, a rubber-skirted mask and a simple "J"-shaped snorkel because that's the gear I began with back in the early 1960s, everything about the configuration still works well for me and I don't see any point in changing to something more modern just for the sake of it. I give no credence to advertisers' hype such as "space-age materials" now that the petrochemical industry appears to dominate supply to the makers of what is basic gear.

Most fins nowadays are "ambidextrous", you can put them on either foot. In your message you described an "asymmetrical" pair of fins where the longest fin tip matches your big toe on either foot. This sounds like the earliest American models of non-adjustable open-heel fins that are nowadays still used by bodyboarders in the surf. There was also in the early 1970s a pair of full-foot fins made by Cressi with foot pockets shaped to accept only the left or the right foot. They are no longer available. As for sizing, fins span a range of foot sizes, e.g. 8-10, because it's uneconomical to make them in single sizes, and some are, unhelpfully, labelled small, medium, large, extra-large, which can mean anything. If you want fins to fit, they need to be tried on and checked for foot length, width and height. If you want to swim in colder waters, get a pair of fin socks or boots and wear them when you are trying on your fins for size.

As for masks, like the fins, it can take a while before you chance upon one that fits your face dimensions exactly. Forget about brands and models, just try on as many as possible until you discover what suits your face. To ensure that the mask will leak as little as possible, press it lightly against your face without attaching the strap and inhale lightly. If the mask stays in place, it's likely you've found a reasonable fit.

As for a snorkel, the simpler the better. In the old days, there was some experimentation with ping-pong balls in cages at the top of the snorkel and some of today's snorkels show that the desire to tinker hasn't abated. KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid - ought to be the slogan for manufacturers of basic gear, but the modern urge to overengineer, overfeature and, of course overprice - is hard to resist in some quarters.

Just a hint for the mask and fitting. Trim the upper edge of your moustache and the part just under your nose a little more than normal during diving season. This will help to keep the water out and give you a little more leeway in fitting a mask.

I used to do this (25 yrs), until this year. The wife said the grey was making me look REAL OLD.

I have a large head and moustache and tried on every mask at the LDS. Last mask in the shop being the scubamax frameless 3window. Also invest in a some silicone grease, a little smear on the mask skirt in them trouble spots and your good to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom