Mask filling with water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your quick replies. I think I will have to buy a new mask. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Check there's no hair or a hoodie breaking the seal - run a finger around it before you splash. It should slightly suck to your face underwater after gently equalising it without the strap over your head. If it still leaks then it's probably a case of following post #3.

No hair in there. It sucks to my face, but it feels very uncomfortable. I think I need a different mask.

Reactions: Jay
Another common problem is that the mask might feel and seal good without regulator in your mouth but once the reg goes to your mouth, the mask won't seal any more... Don't know if it could be the case, just saying

That's why when trying on a mask for fit, we should have at least a snorkel in our mouth at some point. In an ideal world, we'd have our own reg in our mouth but that's unlikely.

I had the Freedom Elite when I first started diving and it flooded constantly. Every time I put my reg in my mouth it flooded. Luckily while doing my confined water dives my instructor let me swap it with a Sherwood mask and it has been a life saver.

I have been diving Sherwood Genesis for years!

Thank you all for your quick replies. I think I will have to buy a new mask. Do you guys have any recommendations?
There are lots of great masks out there. The problem is, what works for one person may not work for another. Masks are definitely one item you really need to try on in person at a shop (or borrow from friends to give them a try). For example, I have an Aqualung Teknika and a Cressi Big Eyes Evo and both are great for me but neither one of them fits my wife. My wife snorkels with a Cressi F1, which fits her face perfectly, but it's too small for me.

Try a bunch on.

Agree with Outbound, go to your LDS or multiple shops and try on different brands with different shapes and sizes. Having the strap on too tight is common which may lead to water leakage and red face marks. Been there down that, lesson learned. There are many good brands out there. My first mask was a Cressi Big Eye. Loved it for 7 years until it died on me. My bad as I didn't keep good care of it. PS - don't leave your mask in the sun to dry. I now dive with an Atomic Venom mask. It took me a while to figure out the fogging issues but it is now a very good mask. I've used ScubaPro Synergy and Scout masks. Both very good. I've heard good things about Tusa masks but have never tried one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom