Mask filling with water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have had lots of masks( in I just my 8 dives) leak. Bit of an art to getting best one. K

There are lots of great masks out there. The problem is, what works for one person may not work for another. Masks are definitely one item you really need to try on in person at a shop (or borrow from friends to give them a try). For example, I have an Aqualung Teknika and a Cressi Big Eyes Evo and both are great for me but neither one of them fits my wife. My wife snorkels with a Cressi F1, which fits her face perfectly, but it's too small for me.

Try a bunch on.
I am going back to the pool at the LDS and play with my mask and see what's wrong with it. I tried a few on and tested them in the pool and I liked the Tusa, but when I used it this weekend I couldn't get the fit right and it filled up.

Agree with Outbound, go to your LDS or multiple shops and try on different brands with different shapes and sizes. Having the strap on too tight is common which may lead to water leakage and red face marks. Been there down that, lesson learned. There are many good brands out there. My first mask was a Cressi Big Eye. Loved it for 7 years until it died on me. My bad as I didn't keep good care of it. PS - don't leave your mask in the sun to dry. I now dive with an Atomic Venom mask. It took me a while to figure out the fogging issues but it is now a very good mask. I've used ScubaPro Synergy and Scout masks. Both very good. I've heard good things about Tusa masks but have never tried one.
Thank you!! I will google those masks and also will go back to the LDS to go in the pool and try different ones. :)

Shopping for masks is tricky. Face width, eye separation, cheekbone shape, nose height all are important, but there are no good measurement standards for fit. Do you have trouble wearing regular sunglasses without nose pads?

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

I use the Sherwood Oracle, but unfortunately, it has been discontinued although it is still available in limited quantites from some on-line sellers. The only time I ever get any water in my mask is if I have my strap placed to high on the back of my head. All I have to do is pull the strap down across the top of my ears and it does not leak a bit. I'm thinking about buying another one before all stock runs out just to have on hand for if and when my current one breaks or wears out.

A couple of thoughts. If you are wearing a hood, your mask may be hitting the edge of the hood, causing the leak. Another thing to check is that the mask is seated directly under the nose. Turning your head may cause a tug on your regulator hose and cause it to break the seal on your upper lip. Not sure if it is any of these things.

Back
Top Bottom