Mask Gradually Leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I just might win the award, if there is one, for mask clearing. Definitely have that skill down.

For me, I have rather large eyes, hence the bone structure around my eyes is different. Even buying sunglasses is a PITA. I kept buying mask after mask after mask. I have a loverly collection now! It was only more recently that I began to try them and if they didn't fit I returned them immediately! Finally, I do have a mask that works but it took a while for me to find. You didn't post a pic of yourself so I just thought I would share my rather odd problem. I know it sound weird but...

gr8ful, here's my 2 cents. During my third open water dive my mask was leaking badly and I continually had to clear (good news, I am VERY proficient at mask clearing :wink: ). I bought a new mask and had leak problems with that too. Guess what, there was a break in the seal right by my left eye. Both masks fit perfectly with the no strap, inhale and hold test. My problem was the way I had my snorkel, it was pulling on the mask. Now you must dive with a snokel for your certification I think, but try adjusting in a pool to see if it makes a difference. Also, make sure the seal is clean, they can get oily.

Good luck,
JR

Ouch!!!

I do breath through my nose to prevent mask squeeze but I try not to do it to often as I always get water up my nose.

I have never seen anything like that.... arhhhh!

What I meant was don't breath out from you nose if you don't have to.

SangP

if all else fails run a bead of aquaseal around the sealing surface of the mask just before you put it on.

you may never get the mask off but it won't leak, and you can avoid those pesky strap issues too :D

Hey SangP, the thing is it's not painful when you rupture those vessels so you don't know you look like something out of a monster movie until you look in the mirror. Since the thread starter is a brand new diver I thought some clarification was in order. I have that picture in my OW lecture, one of my instructor friends said he would never be allowed (by his shop) to put a picture like that in his lecture because it could scare students. Personally I believe in showing my students what injuries you can sustain and then teaching them to prevent them. Yes it's a creepy looking injury but it's REALLY easy to avoid--exhale through your nose occasionally.
Ber :lilbunny:

stevead:
if all else fails run a bead of aquaseal around the sealing surface of the mask just before you put it on.

you may never get the mask off but it won't leak, and you can avoid those pesky strap issues too :D

Hey a new look/trend!

Ber Rabbit:
Hey SangP, the thing is it's not painful when you rupture those vessels so you don't know you look like something out of a monster movie until you look in the mirror. Since the thread starter is a brand new diver I thought some clarification was in order. I have that picture in my OW lecture, one of my instructor friends said he would never be allowed (by his shop) to put a picture like that in his lecture because it could scare students. Personally I believe in showing my students what injuries you can sustain and then teaching them to prevent them. Yes it's a creepy looking injury but it's REALLY easy to avoid--exhale through your nose occasionally.
Ber :lilbunny:

I dated someone a couple of times that did that. He wouldn't listen to me on how to resolve it as he was too cool *rolls eyes* He looked like a freak for the better part of ten days. He finally listened when some guy on the boat one day gave him the same advice I did :14:

Missdirected:
I dated someone a couple of times that did that. He wouldn't listen to me on how to resolve it as he was too cool *rolls eyes* He looked like a freak for the better part of ten days. He finally listened when some guy on the boat one day gave him the same advice I did :14:
I guess you took that as a good clue to stop seeing the fellow.
laughing-smiley-003.gif

I had a mask squeeze once... It wasn't as bad as the guy in the article, but it was somewhat unpleasant to say the least. The worst part about it was that my eyes hurt, especially when looking at the computer screen. It severely impaired my SB posting abilities.

joe rock:
Both masks fit perfectly with the no strap, inhale and hold test.

As one of my instructors put it, "you can get a box of yogurt to stay on your face if you inhale hard enough." The way to get a good fit is to hold the mask lightly against your face and have someone look at the seals. If there are gaps the mask doesn't fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom