Mask Gradually Leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Damselfish. That is actually a very good point that I hadn't thought about. I'll tell you, doing underwater drills with a leaking mask makes everything seem much more difficult than it should be.

mcclete22:
Ok, so I have a question. I am going to try all the suggestions given in this forum. I think my leak is I have my mask to tight. But here is a weird thing. If I dive I get a slow leak. I know I breath out of my nose at least a little each breath. I don't want the black eyes, but I don't think I breath out alot. Could this be what is causing some problem? Excessive exhalation through my nose? The reason I ask is because it only leaks at the surface. POnce I get down like 20 or 30 feet no more leak. Is this normal?
Personally I exhale over half of every breath through my nose and don't get leakage. SangP brought up a good point with the equalizing statement and I'm going to expand on that. When you equalize do you tense your face or clench your teeth? That will change your face shape and let a little water in. The equalizing should be done with a relaxed face and a gentle squeeze. You may even be squeezing your mask hard enough to break the seal just enough to let water in. If you are wearing gloves it's very hard to feel what you are doing to your mask skirt (especially cold water gloves).
Ber :lilbunny:

pete340:
As one of my instructors put it, "you can get a box of yogurt to stay on your face if you inhale hard enough." The way to get a good fit is to hold the mask lightly against your face and have someone look at the seals. If there are gaps the mask doesn't fit.

Even better, look up, place the mask on your face and let gravity hold it there. Then have a buddy look for gaps, it none are seen, sniff in.

Long story long ...

Even tho' I'm new, I was having some serious mask leakages. I'd get down and it would keep slowly flooding the WHOLE time I was in the water. I tried loosening the strap until it was practically unattached and I was still flooding.

Then a friend watched me in the water for a minute constantly clearing, brought me up and told me "Your nose is too big!" He meant that he could see my nose peeking out under my mask. I adjusted my mask down a bit and it was like night and day. So moral of the story is make absolutely sure your mask is resting well on your face. I thought mine was but it wasn't.

Now the only thing is when I bend my head down or turn to the left and right, I get some leakage. Still trying to figure that one out. :dontgetit

Good luck!

Deuces:
Long story long ...

Even tho' I'm new, I was having some serious mask leakages. I'd get down and it would keep slowly flooding the WHOLE time I was in the water. I tried loosening the strap until it was practically unattached and I was still flooding.

Then a friend watched me in the water for a minute constantly clearing, brought me up and told me "Your nose is too big!" He meant that he could see my nose peeking out under my mask. I adjusted my mask down a bit and it was like night and day. So moral of the story is make absolutely sure your mask is resting well on your face. I thought mine was but it wasn't.

Now the only thing is when I bend my head down or turn to the left and right, I get some leakage. Still trying to figure that one out. :dontgetit

Good luck!
Yeah, sometimes you need that other view. My lady dive buddy complained about leaks so I looked: "Honey, the skirt is on your beanie." Moved it off of that, no more problem

Are you wearing yours with a beanie or hood. The mask is supposed to go on first, then the hood, otherwise the hood can pull the mask off position. :wink:

DandyDon:
Yeah, sometimes you need that other view. My lady dive buddy complained about leaks so I looked: "Honey, the skirt is on your beanie." Moved it off of that, no more problem
Part of the buddy check is to make sure no hair/hood/beanie, etc is caught in your buddy's mask seal and to ensure the mask strap is straight.

I struggle with the same issue. I've had mask squeeze and its no fun. Eyes are very ugly for a few weeks. I still have some issues with it but what i did was release some of the pressure on the mask and its seems to help. I also had problem with air discharge like you mentioned and purchased an extention to the discharge and it helped. Many of the new regs now have them.

Hope this helps

Happy Diving

Ber Rabbit:
Part of the buddy check is to make sure no hair/hood/beanie, etc is caught in your buddy's mask seal and to ensure the mask strap is straight.
Yeah, that was the weekend practice dive trip I should have cancelled. Had a DVT painful leg, was watching her and to an extent my other buddy, and wasn't at 100%.

I survived, learned.... :D

Ber Rabbit,

Are you wearing heels in that polartec? Gives new meaning to body suit :D

I know I don't do as I preach but I tend to breath out rather too often from my nose and if I had a higher volume mask it would flood as it lifts off my face... whoopie mask clearing time LOL!

With what Ber Rabbit said, keep your face relax or at least try to keep it the same as when the mask is properly seated on it.

Whenever you choose a mask try to put it through what you would do underwater. Jaw movements, open mouth (like a reg is in it), turn your head in all directions and knock it about slightly, if it's still on, the mask should not leak.

SangP

Sorry Don but I couldn't resist :devil_2:

SangP, yes those are heels. A co-worker heard I was going on a liveaboard and thought "cruise" so he asked if I could bring a picture of me all dressed up and I'm thinking "Ummm, it's not a 'dress-up' affair bud." I brought a pair of heels and had hubby take the picture as a joke :1poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom