Mask keeper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vimaldude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is using a mask keeper ( XS Foto Mask Keeper) advisable?

I haven’t seen anyone using these but it makes sense to use them especially while diving in currents.

Are there any downsides to using them?

IMO at best it appears to be an attempt to find a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist and at worst it appears to be a strangulation hazard. YMMV

Is using a mask keeper ( XS Foto Mask Keeper) advisable?

I haven’t seen anyone using these but it makes sense to use them especially while diving in currents.

Are there any downsides to using them?

Only downside I can see is that you might be less likely to post in the Lost & Found section looking for your Go Pro.

Last edited:

I've dived in some pretty strong currents, but can't remember ever being in one so strong that it ripped my mask clean off my face without me realising.

Then I'd just have to get a mask keeper-keeper.

If ever I end up with a noose around my neck, I won't be paying 5$ to the mob who put it there.

More seriously, I'm a little uncomfortable with added strangulation risk as I don't see the advantage compared to clipping off a camera on a lanyard attached to the bcd.

Cameron

On a more serious note than my previous post, I see that thing causing endless problems. Snagging around the tank valve or first stage, for one. Turn your head the wrong way and your mask floods. Also, if it entangles on anything as you're swimming along, the first thing it will do is rip the mask off your head. Not to mention, as others have, the risk of having it around your throat (and it doesn't appear to have any ability to break free). I bungee a second stage there, but it pulls free (and it gives me air).

Thumbs down.

Here is a thread on the subject: Preventing mask loss vs a spare. You can fast-forward to Post #34 and see a system I have been using for several years now. It turns out that I like it more because it is convenient when gearing up and climbing the ladder than any thought of losing the mask.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Looks like the problems outweigh the benefits.
I will skip this one..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom