Mask leaking, a thought.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last w/e while diving I was looking for my lost mask in the grass (last three w/e's by the way) I kept having issues with my mask leaking on the right side, mostly nose pocket, then eventually the right side. I had to constantly clear (obviously). On the second dive just for fun I noticed that I only had the seal issue when looking straight down, something about my mouth piece causing the right side of my upper lip to change shape. Look mostly forward, no issues, look down, issue.

Two thoughts, is this normal? Could this be a solution for others with leak issues (how do you hold your head or where you look while diving?)

M

how long is your hose b/w stage 1 and stage 2? if its a shorter hose, it might explain why when you are moving your head that the mask is leaking...if the hose isn't manipulating the mask then the only thing I would say is get a new mask! If your current mask doesn't fit properly there is no reason to keep using it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

I dive a long hose. It is a new mask. I could feel my upper lip shift on the right side. It is not the mask.

hmm, I've honestly never heard of anything like that...if it's your face shifting that is causing the leak, I would try and just not shift your face in that way...lol I know that's kind of a dumb answer, it's definitely something I would hop in the pool and try to diagnose exactly what is happening to cause it :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmm, I've honestly never heard of anything like that...if it's your face shifting that is causing the leak, I would try and just not shift your face in that way...lol I know that's kind of a dumb answer, it's definitely something I would hop in the pool and try to diagnose exactly what is happening to cause it :)

When I noticed it I started playing with it. I could feel my mouth piece. This explains a lot over time. I have had the same issue with two other masks. With that said I have a mustache, I'll just need to slick it up better when I know I'm going to be looking down a lot. LOL

I'm diving a hog mouth piece, I want to try an apeks copy which seems smaller, I bet that would help some.

You mustache probably breaks the seal enough that when you tilt down, gravity does what it does best and floods your mask. Try rubbing some silicone grease thoroughly through your mustache to create a seal.

ahhh...there is the problem! yeah I would bet money its the mustache breaking the seal. Just make sure all those pesky stray hairs are out of the way :wink:

I have a beard and mustache, I trim the part below my nose slightly and it works with my current mask. Part of trick is to have a really soft pliable skirt around the mask that is flexible enough to mould on your face including any facial hair. I personally find that the longer the hair the easier the seal, if I trim my mustache short I have frequent leaks, rarely bothers me though unless it interferes with looking through my camera viewfinder.

I don't have a mustache and I have a similar problem. But mine is a very slow leak with my head in any position. The water entering is actually less annoying to me then the sound.

I found that I was always exhaling through my nose. As soon as I stopped exhaling through my nose (except to equalize the mask pressure), the leaking would stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom