Mask leaking, a thought.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that I also constantly exhale just a little from the snoze. I discovered that my hood kept filling with air, it got annoying. Then I realized that I was venting from the mask. Last w/e I made certain to watch this (not do it). It helped tremendously for the hood, and for the mask. I'll try trimming the 'stache down at the top. My AOW instructor has his trimmed on the top side.

I have a beard and mustache, I trim the part below my nose slightly and it works with my current mask. Part of trick is to have a really soft pliable skirt around the mask that is flexible enough to mould on your face including any facial hair. I personally find that the longer the hair the easier the seal, if I trim my mustache short I have frequent leaks, rarely bothers me though unless it interferes with looking through my camera viewfinder.

I too have a mustache and beard- like Searcaigh, I just trim the top slightly and have a very pliable mask skirt. The Vaseline thing can be kind of a turnoff at the end of a dive. Before I trimmed my mustache, I used Chapstick in lieu of Vaseline, and it was much more "presentable" at the end of a dive.

Going back to the mouthpiece ... I love my HOG regs but the mouthpieces were very uncomfortable for me personally. I switched to the comfo-bite and really like it. I was gonna do the Sea Cure but the whole "donating the primary" incident played out in my head & I went with a more generic one. That being said my wife likes her Edge mouthpiece (the same as HOG) and dislikes the comfo-bite.

I swear by a little silicon grease around the entire mask skirt before a dive. It gives a good seal, even where there is facial hair, but do the whole perimeter of the skirt to get the best effect. Also, do a self check on nose breathing, a primary cause of mask leakage. Finally, the mask itself may have a small tear or imperfection in the skirt, or where the lens(es) meet the frame. But try the silicon grease. It's likely to solve, or greatly minimize, your issues.
DivemasterDennis

Not sayin' it's the problem but nose breathing at least for me, was and still is hard to detect especially when taking pics or vid. I think it's probably due to maintaining buoyancy and not realizing you're doing it.

Could this be a solution for others with leak issues (how do you hold your head or where you look while diving?)

M
Definitely. My mask leaks when I look up towards the surface over my shoulder. I know this, and I'm prepared to dump water after this kind of move. Unless you actually clamp your teeth down on the mouthpiece (which causes jaw fatigue and sore teeth after a full day of diving), the bite wing will shift under your lip and cause your face to change shape slightly. It's pretty common.

I have the same issue with exhausting through my nose. Every once in a while I will stop breathing real quick to check if air is escaping through my nose. Many times I find that I am "leaking" so I make a mental note to stop. It helps my mask to stop leaking.

I have the same issue with exhausting through my nose. Every once in a while I will stop breathing real quick to check if air is escaping through my nose. Many times I find that I am "leaking" so I make a mental note to stop. It helps my mask to stop leaking.

I found that I can stop it if I think about it. I was about to buy a nose clamp (for swimming) that would allow me to blow out but not on accident. I'll just need to train myself not to do it. In the mean time, I have a comfo-bite mouthpiece coming in. I found them on amazon for $6 and change.

Stop smiling so much and being so happy underwater. Smiling causes a lot of mask leaks you know........ :)

Man... lol this is seriously such an issue for me. I'm a shark freak, and after grad school I'm (HOPEFULLY!!!!) going to be working with the Shark conservation group... everytime I see sharks my mask fills up instantly lol... I saw a sleeping nurse shark on Sunday .. and my mask was flooded the rest of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom