Master Diver - worth getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you charge for it?

Yes. It costs money to enter registrations and print cards. And my time is worth SOMETHING. But, I wouldn't charge much. I have never actually issued a MSD card.

When I got my own MSD, I had done my OW and all my specialties at the same shop. After I completed Rescue, I already had 50 dives, so the shop give me my Rescue card and they did me a MSD card at the same time, for no charge. I would do the same thing for someone who did their training with me.

Right. And I said "4 specialties plus Rescue".

These are the SDI requirements:

1. Completion of 4 SDI, TDI, or ERDI Specialty Courses or equivalent; only 1 course without dives may be credited toward the Master Scuba Diver. Nitrox counts as a diving specialty.

2. Provide proof of 50 logged dives

3. Completion of the SDI Rescue Diver Course or equivalent

The "or equivalent" part is key.

If you want one, I can probably issue you an SDI Master Diver card. :D
So I can get one with PADI OW/AOW/Drysuit/Rescue, SDI Nitrox, and SSI Science of Diving (hey it was free during the pandemic)?

Wait, why am I asking? I'd be too embarrassed to ever pull it out.

Maybe it will get me an allocation at the Rolex store.

BTW, I once had a student who definitely benefited from it. He was a scientist who wanted to do some research in very cold lakes in a national park. He asked about it, and he was told he could not so it unless he had the master Scuba Diver rating. He also needed more training, since he had previously only been a typical warm water resort diver before that.

We mapped out a plan for a worthwhile MSD experience. He certainly needed dry suit. The dives would be at high altitude, so we added altitude. He would be dong some challenging navigation, so that was a must. Deep Diver seemed like a good choice. We did two distinctive specialties I teach. One was Advanced Dive Planning, a distinctive specialty that covers more than the DM program in terms of planning and executing dives without supervision. The second was a course very similar to GUE Fundamentals, focusing on buoyancy, trim, and propulsion techniques. He got the specialties and the MSD certification, and the parks service allowed him to do his research.

The experience did more than that for him, though. He is now a certified cave diver, and we did a cave diving trip together in Mexico a couple years ago. He just enrolled in my technical diving instructional program and will be learning about decompression so he can do deeper caves. As a result of his MSD experience, he is a completely different diver than he was before.

I think that's the first actual useful, practical aspect of getting that card I have ever heard of.

Given the snarky tone sometimes running through the thread regarding master divers, I think there are some master baiters on here just hoping somebody bites.

So I can get one with PADI OW/AOW/Drysuit/Rescue, SDI Nitrox, and SSI Science of Diving (hey it was free during the pandemic)?

No. AOW is not a specialty. Drysuit and Nitrox are two. I'm not sure sure if SSI Science of Diving translates as an equivalent to any SDI specialty, so I'm not sure it would count. You need 4 specialties plus Rescue. You have 2, possibly 3, and Rescue.

No Master Scuba Diver for you! LOL! :D

I think that's the first actual useful, practical aspect of getting that card I have ever heard of.

I didn't do it to get the MSD card. But, after I finished OW, I knew there were more things I wanted to learn.

I took Advanced Buoyancy Control to get better at buoyancy.

I took Nitrox to be able to stay down longer.

I took Drysuit because I bought a drysuit so I could dive longer and deeper at the local quarry - which was around 40F at 90 feet all year round.

I took Deep and Wreck so I could go dive the North Carolina wrecks (hopefully) more safely.

Once I had 4 full specialties under my belt and 25 dives, SDI has an Advanced Scuba Diver recognition (card), which my shop gave me, gratis.

Eventually I took Rescue, to be better able to handle emergencies.

After I finished Rescue, my shop gave me the MSD card gratis, without me even asking.

I never got an "AOW" card (which SDI calls Advanced Adventure Diver).

If any of the cards are what gets someone to dive more, learn more about diving, and improve their diving skills, then I'd say it's a good card. Of course, a bad instructor can always render an otherwise good card totally useless.

Back
Top Bottom