Master scuba diver - why the negativity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any 5 will do for the most part. Nitrox, Fish ID, Boat diver, Altitude, and UW Photographer will get you a master diver card. And some of the so-called "distinctive" ones like whaleshark, manatee, and hydrooptix mask user qualify as well if memory serves. Along with AOW and rescue. So someone with one deep dive to 61 feet, one night dive, and one navigation dive from the AOW course can qualify as a "Master Diver" as long as they also have 50 dives. According to the instructor manual I have.

You have to have AOW, Rescue, plus any 5 specialties as well as 50 dives.

I don't know what Jim means by "one deep dive to 61 feet, one night dive, and one navigation dive from the AOW course...." Those used to be part of the requirements for AOW. (Night diver was dropped quite some time ago because there are many places in the world where it is very hard--close to impossible--to do a night dive.) I am not sure what he means by mentioning them. They are single dives that one can do for AOW--they are not specialties that count toward MSD. One has to do much more to get the specialties in those areas.

You have to have AOW, Rescue, plus any 5 specialties as well as 50 dives.

I don't know what Jim means by "one deep dive to 61 feet, one night dive, and one navigation dive from the AOW course....I am not sure what he means by mentioning them.

He makes perfect sense to me... His statement was just about the fastest way to do a "Zero to Hero". He was mentioning it to show not only how easy it is to do your MD with "SOME" agencies but also your AOW which is 1 requirement for MD.

If you dont have to do a deep,night,& nav dive
Those used to be part of the requirements for AOW. (Night diver was dropped quite some time ago because there are many places in the world where it is very hard--close to impossible--to do a night dive.
Then what makes up the AOW???

What I meant was that those dives are part of the AOW course and a "Master Diver" card could be gotten by not doing any other deep or navigation dives. Forgot about night/low vis being dropped. Still required for AOW in some systems and it was when I got certed (instructor said it was anyway). I acknowledged the rescue and 5 specialty requirement in my previous post (#141). Could have been a bit clearer but Burhan got the meaning. I think some are surprised that specialties like deep and UW Nav are not required. NAUI's master diver program requires all the skills of the NAUI DM minus the teaching requirement. SEI's is similar. The Master Diver rating is an actual course with minimum deep dives, nav, search and recovery, ocean and freshwater experience, free diving skills, and deco procedures and again all the knowledge development of a DM/instructor level diver. Plus anything else the instructor wants to throw in to best suit the diver and his/her interests. Ie if doing coldwater they can require a certain level of proficiency in a dry suit or 7 mil along with advanced knowledge of dealing with hypothermia.

If you dont have to do a deep,night,& nav dive Then what makes up the AOW???

I worded it badly. Navigation and Deep are still required. You have to do three more of your choosing.

Are you serious? In other words, if somebody collects specialty cards such as "U/W Basket Weaving" and the like would eventually end up with PADI's MSD card?
Even tho there are more requirements than that, it's still a card selling scheme.

I fell for waterproof bag/BC tag when it was introduced and blew money on a backup Nitrox card. When I took Rescue, I called Padi about getting that card issued with Enhanced Air-Rescue and they told me I had to get the standard card first, then buy that card additionally - but I argued, and I guess they're not allowed to hang up on a customer, so after some time they gave in.

I seldom get carded actually, and if I am - I usually get away with this faulty one...

mm5pu9.jpg

The other side does have my name, pic, and other info, but not specifications on the course taken. Still works tho.

Unfortunately, I've met way too many divemasters who can't dive very well. They can mimic all the required skills to perfection, generally (usually while kneeling on the bottom) ... but many lack the practical experience to make good decisions outside of what was specifically covered in the class ... and many are incapable of doing simple things like removing and replacing a mask without hanging on to something. ... Bob (Grateful Diver)

People who really know what they are doing in any field take umbrage when a credentialing body waters down the requirements for minimum skills. A real professional knows that once a title is conferred, the beginning of real learning begins (practice); they haven't come anywhere close to being a "master" and they understand that learning never stops anyway. A card at any diving level supposedly documents that the person demonstrated the minimum skills needed to earn the card, but that doesn't mean they are seasoned and experienced.

From everything I've read, the trend with PADI and NAUI seems to have been to relax requirements, while keeping the titles the same? This has spawned competing credentialing bodies with more stringent requirements? Does this mean ultimately that the "big guys" will lose credibility? There are folks on here who have been diving and teaching professionally for years. What do you think? :focus:

From everything I've read, the trend with PADI and NAUI seems to have been to relax requirements, while keeping the titles the same? This has spawned competing credentialing bodies with more stringent requirements? Does this mean ultimately that the "big guys" will lose credibility? There are folks on here who have been diving and teaching professionally for years. What do you think? :focus:

Please no--not again.

Please no--not again.

oh dear. what the heck does that mean? topic chewed dry?

oh dear. what the heck does that mean? topic chewed dry?

Beyond dry. The dead horse has been beaten beyond recognition, and the people who could give the most valuable insights are weary to the bone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom