Master scuba diver - why the negativity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It seems to create a lot of debate. If someone advances their training and wants to have something to show for that - why do people have a problem?

Not everyone has the want/desire to become a dive master or instructor so having a final cert for rec divers seems appropriate.

No problem, it refects PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, and 5 subspecialties. I have an MSD card with nitrox, only card I've ever needed, anywhere.

Best, Craig

The most common issues: too few dives to earn, the name it self, what it implies and what it is really is two different things.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided long ago that I dive for fun and do not want the added responsibility of DM / Instructor leadership roles in diving. Therefore Master diver is about as far as I will go with Padi.

I have not made it, partly cause I don't see what I get out of it. I did the rescue a few years back because it seemed worth while (and was). I do specialities when they address a shortfall in my skills (e.g. dry suit, Nitrox) but have not seen the need to wrack up 5 of these for an extra card to keep in a bag along with the others. (Currently I am at 4 and with Ice Diving in Feb it will be 5). I will probably get the MD Card issued, cause I might as well for 50 bucks.

To me the test of a master diver is in the approach to diving, underwater skills and awareness. A C-Card that says I have 5 random speciality skills and 50 dives doesn't say much about these attributes.

Maybe the industry could consider a card after Master Diver? A "Platinum Diver" at 100 dives with a pass / fail type course similar to Fundies? :idk: That would hold more prestige in the community and be an attraction to me.

I think people have a problem with the word itself. (the word Master) It implies you have mastered the subject. I don't think we would see such a debate if the title were changed to "Level 3"

This is the root of the problem. The word master has been tossed around so much it bears little resemblance to its origins. As far a Master Scuba Diver is concerned, if one takes enough classes one can obtain the title but true mastery of (any skill) takes time, experience and the efforts of a truly skilled mentor.

For me, if you take the classes and gain the title, I'll respect it but will refrain from passing any judgment on your skills until I observe them first hand.

It's because a PADI "Master Diver" doesn't rate the title.

In PADI, "Advanced" doesn't really mean advanced, and "Master" doesn't really mean master.

At the end of the day, what do I care? If you want to call yourself "Captain Crunch", go ahead. Just don't be surprised when you don't get a lot of salutes.

-Mitch

It seems to create a lot of debate. If someone advances their training and wants to have something to show for that - why do people have a problem?

Not everyone has the want/desire to become a dive master or instructor so having a final cert for rec divers seems appropriate.

Having a "final cert"? I mean - in reality... the highest level cert a recreational diver needs is Advanced Open Water or possibly Rescue Diver. The card I show when I dive on a dive boat, or go on vacation is Advanced Open Water. If you want to pay for a card that makes you feel good about yourself, then by all means... get a MSD card. It's not like you will gain any more respect from the boat, shop, operation what have you when you flash a Master Scuba Diver card than an AOW card. If the place requires check out dives... you won't be exempt.

So you ask why the debate? What is the value, and would a diver gain more experience elsewhere in the realm of education, and if you wanted to quantify your expense in a Dollars per ounces of knowledge formula... how much knowledge do you actually acquire when you pay for this?

softballer:
If someone advances their training and wants to have something to show for that - why do people have a problem?

Depends on which program. With PADI and SSI, the MD card isn't the result of advancing education. The 5 specialty cards are the result of advancing their education. The MD card is a result of purchasing it. With some other agencies, the MD card is awarded at the successful completion of a class. That's the difference.

Having said that, I have no issue with people who buy the SSI or PADI MD cards. It's your money, spend it as you like, it's none of my business.

Back
Top Bottom