Master scuba diver - why the negativity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as you have a good, safe attitude and are fun to be around I don't care what you call yourself, or what classes you've taken. Skills can be learned ... it's the desire to improve that makes someone a better diver.

Some people take the classes to achieve Master Diver status out of a desire to improve their skills and learn to be better, safer divers. To those people I say "good for you" ... don't worry what anybody else thinks about it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey, aren't we supposed to be hating safety devices right now???

Be a MD if you want...who cares. Why do some people feel the need to advertise their cert level to others? No matter what the card says your just another diver to me (and I'm just another diver too).

Diving is a kinesthetic activity; something you do. If you want to master it I'd suggest diving a lot. That's how you master it. If you need a little formal tutelage along the way, so be it; just don't confuse the means with the end.

When I had finished all the requirements, I thought about the Master Scuba Diver card. But then I realized that all it did was summarize the things I had already done, for which I already had cards that I had already paid for. Now I was going to pay for another card that simply said I had done all those things. I elected not to pay the money for another card.

I think it's fantastic if people continue their education, and I think EVERYBODY ought to do Rescue. And a NAUI Master Scuba Diver card represents a class, with academics and diving. A PADI MSD card is just a way of condensing a bunch of cards into one, and getting you to pay for it.

If people need a culminating experience, I think Rescue fills that fine. My NAUI MSD was a lot of work and had new material. GUE-F was great, but I can see that it might not be for everyone.

When I was in the Scouts, if we got a certain combination of badges we got like a progress badge. It was a great motivator. From a marketing standpoint, I think PADI's MSD is absolutely brilliant. From the perspective of encouraging further training... sure.

I don't necessarily object to anyone doing anything they want to do.

It seems to create a lot of debate. If someone advances their training and wants to have something to show for that - why do people have a problem?

Not everyone has the want/desire to become a dive master or instructor so having a final cert for rec divers seems appropriate.

Why do you worry so much about what others think of your diving education?

You want the cards, then get the cards. You don't want the cards, then don't get the cards.

one of the dive centres in thailand tried to sell me the master scuba diver card a few years ago, needless to say i passed on the offer, i knew nothing of it and when explained i thought it totally pointless, plus i am a very humble man and did not fancy flashing some card i had paid for around, why do you have to pay for it anyway ? its already cost enough to meet the criteria ?

OP, the negativity often results from some who carry the card and act like they really are the epitome of diving...... and quite often, it couldn't be further from the truth.
When you know that you only have to have 50 dives and ANY 5 specialty cards, it just smacks of the marketing and selling ploys used so much.

I don’t have a problem with any level of education from one of the agencies. I take them all with a lot of salt, if I don’t know you and what you can do, I don’t care what your card says or how many of them you have. It is the quality of your instructor and your experiance with the use that instruction that means the most.

As for the term Master Diver – well:

In PADI it is a congratulation, you have passed 5 courses, all of your checks have cleared, and we got you to pay an extra $50 for this nifty 6th card.Master Scuba Diver Rating Courses - Advanced Open Water Diving - PADI Scuba Dive Training Organization

In NAUI it is a certification and you may, or may not get additional education. In other words, it’s not just sending in a 6th check and I hope that your Instructor does give you additional education to earn it. NAUI Worldwide Master Scuba Diver

Overview
The course is an continuing education certification course for divers who wish to increase their understanding and enjoyment of diving. Emphasis is on student participation and practical application of knowledge in open water after a classroom discussion of subjects. This course is an excellent progression toward NAUI Leadership roles.

Some subject areas are a review and expansion of material from previous courses. Each subject area is a progression in study not a definitive study in the particular diving activity. However, instructors will specify performance objectives for related course diving activities, for example, during a navigation dive the student will swim a reciprocal course to within 10 feet (3 m) of its origin.

The course may be divided and taught in sections with the student’s Diving/Training Log being signed off for each activity until all requirements are met.

Upon successful completion of this course, graduates are considered competent to engage in open water diving activities without supervision, provided the diving activities and the areas dived approximate those of training.

The NAVY
Never talk about being a Master Diver around US Navy divers. A Navy Master Diver is a very experienced diver and has worked very hard for 10-15 years to get the Rating. They will also be a Senior or Master Chief Petty Officer by the time they rate and earn a Master Diver qualification.
Navy Diver : Special Operations : Careers & Jobs : Navy.com

So to summarize, a Master Diver is:

PADI – A Congratulation
NAUI – A Certification
NAVY – A Qualification and Rating

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom