Master scuba diver - why the negativity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an extremely high opinion of PADI's marketing division. I'm sure they've done the research to figure the optimum number of dives and specialties to keep people feeling both interested and distinguished.

Good point.

What?? They are going to up it to 7 or 8?.
I am going to start on it now, while it's still only 5. Then I'll be an old school PADI Master Diver.
I won't "feel" distinguished. I'll BE distinguished.......It's not every day one gets to complete the ascent to the highest level.
;-)

Respect my superiority, Bitches!!!! Hahaha!

-Mitch

(Where is Quero when you need her??? She is probably sleeping off all the partying she did on New Year's. You can't get good help these days.)

What is your definition of "lacks"?

I skimmed through the thread and found 6 references to the fact that the NAUI and PADI courses are different prior to your post. I probably missed some others in my skimming. Two of them came from you, posts in which you rhapsodized on how difficult the NAUI course you are taking is.

You have now written three posts in which you have talked about how hard the NAUI course is and how much you are learning from it. How many more posts will it take before this "lack" in the thread is filled?

Point taken and a good one. There are people in this thread that get it I know but you can see posts like mine and a few post 3 to 10 away from it someone else makes fun of the master name and any diver that has that cert refering to a PADI MD. If they want to keep posting with out reading this thread I just like to reaffirm my views on it in hopes they come back to it and pick up some knowledge on this and stop generalizing all MD's in one category.

I know it has been covered but IMO it still "LACKS" this basic knowledge. You know, I know so you can just skip over these post's.

This Thread long and worn out still lacks the fact that "Master Diver" from PADI to NAUI are different. There not the same and is a huge INSULT to anybody that has taken NAUI MD class to be thrown in the ring with PADI's. A NAUI student really has to show Performance and knowledge on diving to earn his MD and is the ONLY way to get his DM it'ss half the ticket.

First of all, I agree with you. Unfortunately, it is a cruel world:

1. Consider people who call themselves "Doctor" - Ph.D.s, M.D.s, D.M.s, D.V.M.s, optometrists, chiropractors, etc.. Do you think that an M.D. likes to be lumped into the same title as an alternative health care practitioner? How do Ph.D.s feel about the whole mess, since they were the original "Doctors?"
2. At what age does one hit adulthood, in the sense of maturity and being responsible (not in the legal sense - that is established)? When one can drive a car? When one can serve in the military? When one can marry? When one can rent a car locally? When one can rent a car internationally? Never?

Perhaps we should view the MD cert as an age of majority. In the case if PADI, it might be 18 while for NAUI it could be 21. The point is, at that juncture, you should have the skills and common sense to go out into the wide world, make your own way, and make mistakes without killing yourself, learning all the while.

First of all, I agree with you. Unfortunately, it is a cruel world:

1. Consider people who call themselves "Doctor" - Ph.D.s, M.D.s, D.M.s, D.V.M.s, optometrists, chiropractors, etc.. Do you think that an M.D. likes to be lumped into the same title as an alternative health care practitioner? How do Ph.D.s feel about the whole mess, since they were the original "Doctors?"

... and none of them hold a candle to the witch doctor ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Have an acquaintance who took a PhD in equine nutrition (can you say "horse food") who is insanely demanding about wanting to be referred to as "Doctor" Richard ------.

I can't understand it. I was awarded several decorations as a result of my service in Viet Nam, but for Christ's sake, I don't go around referring to myself and signing documents with a signature that states "The Kraken, SS, DFC, BS, MOPH, AM . . . " so forth and so on.

Titles are for those who are insecure, those who need to brag.

One of the greatest guys I know is an MD, Dr. Bob Lott. I have never, in the 26 years that I have known him, heard him introduce himself as "Dr. Bob Lott". Humble guy, great doctor, good human being.

Anyway . . .

the K

Have an acquaintance who took a PhD in equine nutrition (can you say "horse food") who is insanely demanding about wanting to be referred to as "Doctor" Richard ------.

Titles are for those who are insecure, those who need to brag.

Anyway . . .

the K

I know the folks that wont tell you their name with out telling you ther highest rank in the scuba chain. Those are usually the worst divers. "IF" and only if someone asks what my highest cert is I still only say OW.

Please dont take that as wanting to where the title it's all about the MD's are NOT created equal. If somebody wants to learn about horse food and call them selves Doctor then fine what ever helps them sleep at night.

Back
Top Bottom