http://www.diveheart.org/

Matt The AquaMan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt the Wonder Boy:
Where exactly is your location?

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Close to Asia, above Australia. Right above Guam. Warm and beautiful.

I don't mean to disagree with you, but I really doubt luck will help you. It will be your determination, your will to accomplish your goal, and your faith in yourself (and anything else you may believe in) that will see you through.

I'll check out your site right now.

DandyDon:
One member suggested we write to Oprah about getting in on this. I don't allow TV in my home, but - I understand that she can get things done, and he likes the publicity.

Anyone know how to submit ideas to her show? We could send a few hundred emails? :lol2:

Let's get this boy in the water!!

Don, Matt and I have both written to Oprah and Ellen now. They both have shows coming up on "Dreams" and I think that this more then qualifies. If anyone wants the link to send their own letter about Matt.... just send me a PM and I can get it out to ya!!

Just a thought, but have you considered the possibility of a newt suit (or something like it) or some other existing technology? Since this is your dream, I'm sure you've approached it from every possible angle, and have already considered it and discarded the idea. Just wondering why.

From what I understand, the suit keeps you at 1 ata constantly, and dry, so your ventilator probably wouldn't be a problem (but I am totally ignorant about your ventilator and other issues, and, frankly, about newt suits as well). And you could get a lot more bottom time than any other type of diving.

It seems to me that, although expensive to rent, you may be able to get someone to donate the time, or offer at a discount. In any event, it would be fairly easy to ascertain the costs involved (travel to, and dive support).

I imagine that once a plan is solidified, and the costs are made finite, you could generate a ton of support from us on ScubaBoard.

Thoughts?

Yes, I have considered a newt suit. I have also been in touch with Phil Nuyten himself and we are discussing taking a ride in one of his submersibles next summer possibly. The reason I don't want to do the Newt Suit is that is would be next to impossible for me to get in it with my scoliosis and contracted muscles and I really want to just be able to free float in the water. It just wouldn't work out. Thanks for the suggestion anyway! I agree my determination and persistance will be what gets me in the water. It's what got me so far right now. I will be diving soon, I never give up. I have fought many battles, my dream is going to happen!! Take care, safe diving.
-Matt- :eyebrow:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Kayla:
Don, I got your message, so I'm posting the links here!

Here's the link to Ellen http://ellen.warnerbros.com/funstuff/yes/index.html

And here is the link to Oprah. On the home page there is a link to be on her show. http://images.oprah.com/index.jhtml

~Kayla :dazzler1:

Alrighty! Anyone who would like to email these shows and encourage them to look at getting involved with Matt's Dream can now do so.

If you have any problems, contact me, or better - ask Kayla, as she's already done it. :shades:

Please God don't let this come out sounding wrong, but what's the hold up?
Matt I haven't read all your posts yet so---is it the ventilator and your ability to breathe U/W that is holding things up?? The vent. is forcing enough air into your lungs for proper O2/Co2 exchange, correct? Also I assume that since you have a trach. we'll need to keep this area dry and clear, correct?
I am SURE we can figure something out. Is there any other considerations that we need to look at?? Why will you need gloves? or the dry suit?
Where are we all going for your dive trip?? Where would you like to go? Someplace warm with lots of fish? Cozumel, Caymans or maybe someplace more local ?
I'll read more of these posts and try to think something up.

??? MODs would this thread get more attention in General Discussions???

Hey has anyone thought about using the helmets from "The Abyss" . Take the helmet and put a drysuit zipper on it so Matt is bone dry. Drop the Vent into a canister and keep positive pressure on the canister??? Just thinking outloud-M

I'm going to mix up the qoutes from your last 2 posts just a little, and offer some tentative comments...

Michael Schlink:
Please God don't let this come out sounding wrong, but what's the hold up?
Matt I haven't read all your posts yet so---is it the ventilator and your ability to breathe U/W that is holding things up?? The vent. is forcing enough air into your lungs for proper O2/Co2 exchange, correct? Also I assume that since you have a trach. we'll need to keep this area dry and clear, correct?
Yes, the vent is pump air in, currently at slightly less than 1 bar where he is at home. The vent is not designed to work at 2 bar, much less adjust between. If it was that simple, several of us would have dragged him somewhere already. Unless I'm wrong? :wacko: I often am!

I am SURE we can figure something out. Is there any other considerations that we need to look at?? Why will you need gloves? or the dry suit?
Matt's body cannot produce heat like your's or mine, as he cannot move his muscles at all, others than his thumbs, so hypothermia even in what you and I would call warm water is a risk. He has a dry suit, though, from DUI, and his extended family there will see that he gets whatever he needs in adjustments or even more suits.

Where are we all going for your dive trip?? Where would you like to go? Someplace warm with lots of fish? Cozumel, Caymans or maybe someplace more local ?
I'll read more of these posts and try to think something up.
the first challenge is the pool, then - I would think an aquarium that allows diving.

Hey has anyone thought about using the helmets from "The Abyss" . Take the helmet and put a drysuit zipper on it so Matt is bone dry. Drop the Vent into a canister and keep positive pressure on the canister??? Just thinking outloud-M
He has a number of Univ Engineering schools working on this, but - I'm not clear on your idea. Perhaps you could contact them with it, and see if they may have missed an obvious solution?

??? MODs would this thread get more attention in General Discussions???
This thread formed in Introductions, and I suggested that then, but - this new forum was formed almost because of Matt.

I greatly appreciate your interest in our friend's challenge and dream. If you want to follow up on your ideas with the various resources, post them here, and/or something else - we're all open to it. :thumb:

Thanks Don, as I said I am just thinking out loud. I go nuts when someone tells me I can't do something. I am one of those that jumps up when told to shut up.
SO I am correct in thinking that when we can figure out proper gas exchange at a reasonable depth we're all taking Matt diving somewhere!!!
Also what is the thought process of taking a run at Oprah or Ellen? Is $$$ holding us up or technology??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom