http://www.diveheart.org/

Matt The AquaMan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Brian, thanks for the excellent ideas. Sounds pretty cool. The standard reg hoses would probably work for the other little hoses that run alongside my main ventilator circuit it for exhalation and pressure readings. That tubing that they use on BC's (corrugated or however it would be described) looks very similar to what I use for my main vent circuits. And I think that would be what I would need to use in that case. That sounds like a possibility, the camera housing. Also, the only thing is finding someone to put all this together right now! What I am working on with that professor is going to create a whole new life support system and that is going to take quite a while. I am going to need to do some dives before then. I can't wait that long!!!! Anyway thanks for all the input. You really got my brain going again! Talk to you later, safe diving.
-Matt- :crafty:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Could we keep the vent inside the drysuit?? As far as the CO2 dump it into the suit and then use a std dump valve to keep the suit properly inflated??
A housing for the vent would be pretty easy to build or modify but we'll need to know dimensions.

Matt,

Where can we find specifications, pictures, and other information about the ventilator you have in mind using? There are a lot of brilliant minds on this board, so, lets use them.

Brian
Matt the Wonder Boy:
Hi Brian, thanks for the excellent ideas. Sounds pretty cool. The standard reg hoses would probably work for the other little hoses that run alongside my main ventilator circuit it for exhalation and pressure readings. That tubing that they use on BC's (corrugated or however it would be described) looks very similar to what I use for my main vent circuits. And I think that would be what I would need to use in that case. That sounds like a possibility, the camera housing. Also, the only thing is finding someone to put all this together right now! What I am working on with that professor is going to create a whole new life support system and that is going to take quite a while. I am going to need to do some dives before then. I can't wait that long!!!! Anyway thanks for all the input. You really got my brain going again! Talk to you later, safe diving.
-Matt- :crafty:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Remember, the ventilator delivers air at a low pressure but a high volume. Also, even though the outside of the hose looks "corrugated" the inside is smooth to produce a laminar flow (low turbulance). The pressure delivered to the air inlet of the ventilator is going to have to be "ambient" pressure or maybe one or two psi above.

I sleep on a cpap machine which is a distant cousin of his ventilator. A more closer cousin would be a bipap machine, but they do not have to breathe for the patient. A ventilator does not need a "prompt" like our regulators... they breathe all on their own.

So we can't use the dry suit... way too much air has to be processed for that. We need a container that will hold the ventilator and allow the air delivered to that container to be regulated to ambient pressure. The output flow of the ventilator would be easy enough to port through the side of the container. Matt, does the ventilator have one or two ports in it? In other words, is there a discharge as well as a suction side to this device.

NetDoc:
Remember, the ventilator delivers air at a low pressure but a high volume. Also, even though the outside of the hose looks "corrugated" the inside is smooth to produce a laminar flow (low turbulance). The pressure delivered to the air inlet of the ventilator is going to have to be "ambient" pressure or maybe one or two psi above.

I sleep on a cpap machine which is a distant cousin of his ventilator. A more closer cousin would be a bipap machine, but they do not have to breathe for the patient. A ventilator does not need a "prompt" like our regulators... they breathe all on their own.

So we can't use the dry suit... way too much air has to be processed for that. We need a container that will hold the ventilator and allow the air delivered to that container to be regulated to ambient pressure. The output flow of the ventilator would be easy enough to port through the side of the container. Matt, does the ventilator have one or two ports in it? In other words, is there a discharge as well as a suction side to this device.

How about someone that might be able to danate some time in a 1atm suit?

ZenDiver:
How about someone that might be able to danate some time in a 1atm suit?
I think he said he couldn't get in one, 'cause of his scoliosis. He'll be back on in the morning, though, I'll bet. :wink:

If the hoses being used are the ones I am thinking of, they have a metal or heavy plastic coil reinforcement. If this is the case, they will not crush at the depths we are talking about here. We can always test a section. If someone will get me the specifics on the hose being use, I'll go get some, plug up both ends and see what depth it crushes at just to be sure.

The hoses can be routed through water tight ports in the dry suit. The ventillator can encased completely in it's own neutral housing and carried like a regular tank. We already know it would take several people to help Matt into the water. In reality, the best method for that would be via a lift, easily enough set up.

Once in the water his bouyancy can be controlled by the assisting divers. The tank providing air to the ventillator can also be carried by an assisting diver. If need be, so can the power supply.

Brian

NetDoc:

This would be a "differential" issue here. If the air delivered to the ventilator is at ambient pressure, then the output would be slightly above that... crushing would not be an issue.

I still feel that venting the air through the dry suit is asking for problems. Let's see if Matt can get us a pic of his ventilator.

NetDoc:
This would be a "differential" issue here. If the air delivered to the ventilator is at ambient pressure, then the output would be slightly above that... crushing would not be an issue.

I still feel that venting the air through the dry suit is asking for problems. Let's see if Matt can get us a pic of his ventilator.
I understand what your getting at. I'm not saying use the drysuit vent.

I have PM'd with Matt. His system does both inhale and exhale for him. Thus, 2 hoses. In my idea, both hoses would run through the DS via water tight ports.

I agree, ambient ventinig would not work.

Here's a question that just popped in to my head. How are we going to handle equalization for Matt's ears and sinuses?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom