Maya air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody taken the maya air flight from Cozumel to cancun or vice versa. What was the experience like? How reliable are the flights, cancelations for not enough people. I'm traveling in a group of three and we are flying into Cozumel and considering flying out of cancun since sun country doesn't operate on Sunday's out of Cozumel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been on both. I would put my family on either one. They have a good safety record. They are single engine little airplanes. They may charge you for baggage, including carry on's. Schedule is fairly reliable.

I've taken Maya Air. It was okay until the cabin filled with smoke. We all thought we were going to die!

11058205_10207075082820710_7620402445846200114_n.jpg

Just joking. They use a cool mist to keep you cool during the flight, but I sure got a kick out of posting that to Facebook and watching friends and family freak out.

Schedule is solid, planes are well kept. If you purchase the ticket while at the airport it is half price - you get the local price. 498 peso IIRC. So arrival you are kind of stuck at full rate but you can immediately buy your departure ticket then and pay half price.

If the timing works well for you, the flight is a great option. Otherwise the ferry/bus isn't difficult.

I have been on both. I would put my family on either one. They have a good safety record. They are single engine little airplanes. They may charge you for baggage, including carry on's. Schedule is fairly reliable.
I'm pretty sure Mayair planes have two engines.

I'm pretty sure Mayair planes have two engines.

If they have only one I think they'd fly in circles :wink:

11214165_10207072422714209_3922501092792814541_n.jpg

Yes, they have two engines. They are awesome. Fly them all the time. BEST price is to go in person to the office by Chedraui. For a tourista, it was like 650 pesos, one way or like 38.26US. You can buy with a credit card. Buy on the website it is 63US. When you get to Cancun, DONT go walking in the hot sun to the bus stop. Lomas will pick you up right at the terminal. I tried to tell some people beginning of the month. They walk a way and stood in the sun. From the AC in the terminal, I watched Lomas pick them up and then come get us. You do have to watch the weight, but you combine it all for all your people, so it averages. Bigger carryons will have to be checked so that adds to it.

Yes, they have two engines.
There may be some sort of rule that in order to carry commercial passengers planes must have two engines and must be able to travel some distance on just one of them. If I wrote the rules that would be one of them, anyway.

Yes, they are German airplanes with TWO turbo Prop motors. I was at first rather skeptical but now fly them all the time…at least TO Cancun. Coming back the other way is frequently a problem (for me) finding the Lomas guy, who can call a van, and if they are really busy you might have to wait for a while. But Cozumel to Cancun should be no problem unless you have a whole bunch of baggage.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

Last edited:
Yes, they are German airplanes with TWO turbo Prop motors. I was at first rather skeptical but now fly them all the time…at least TO Cancun. Coming back the other way is frequently a problem (for me) finding the Lomas guy, who can call a van, and if they are really busy you might have to wait for a while. But Cozumel to Cancun should be no problem unless you have a whole bunch of baggage. Dave Dillehay Aldora Divers ALDORA DIVERS
Glad to see you are FINALLY coming around. :wink: (And I ALWAYS see Lomas guys hanging about outside terminal dos.)

Back
Top Bottom